Friday, June 17, 2005

To Picasso's "Woman with a Book."

You cannot see me but I see you perfectly. Sitting there with a pensive expression and a slight half-smile staring off into space. Don’t turn around. My reflection is cast on the antique mirror that hangs behind you, behind the fancy red and orange chair you’re sitting in. I remember you told me once that was your favorite chair in the whole wide world because you found it at a yard sale for only ten dollars AND it smelled like roses no matter how many times you cleaned it… a miracle perhaps? You were always so superstitious. Everywhere we go I swear you see Jesus or Mary in puddles and pastries and bowls of soup. I’m sure there’s a more scientific explanation for this mystery fragrance. I think a mouse might have crawled up inside and died. Of course, I’m too nice to tell you this.

What are you reading? Don’t answer that, I think I already know.

I remember last year when you and I vacationed in Ibiza. A quaint little old woman running a quaint little old bookstand on a quaint little old street, I forgot the name but I remember we kept referring to it as “Ratton” because we counted about 20 rats... or were they small dogs? Anyhow, I bought you a copy of “The sun also rises.”

On the inside cover there should be an inscription that reads as follows:

Mija,

To undiscovered dreams and forgotten troubles.

-H.


What a beautiful day that was. The sun hung in the sky lazily farting its rays as we slowly walked up and down Ratton admiring the rich abundance of eclectic shops and various oddities. I remember the “talk” we had at that corner café which served the most delectable latte’s we’ve ever sipped... even to this day. What was our debate about? Who asked whom out on our first date? Van Gogh and Picasso? Freud and Jung?

That night, after dancing at the club, you and I made passionate love on the beach covered in sweat, wave upon crashing wave of drug-induced bliss. Shrink wrapped in total darkness save the soft radiance of the moon, and the dull, alien glow of our sticks. Your little book sat half-buried in the sand watching our frenetic going-ons...

...as I’m now sitting here watching you watching me somewhere in your distant thoughts.

11 comments:

shana p. said...

my favorite so far! Excellent - I enjoyed all of the little details.

jazz said...

you're perfect.

i'm always hard pressed to find my favorite line in your posts. this time, it's just impossible. i'm skipping it.

although i've had bookstores on the mind. i was reminded of a trip to "shakespeare & co." across from notre dame. it was so nice to run into the two little old bostonians running the place in a city full of cold french people...ratton. "or were they small dogs." ...

Joe said...

Damn you, Hermes. I read the first few lines of this post and said "I should check out this painting before I read the rest of it." Wikipedia is a dangerous place for me. I start out checking some Picasso paintings and before you know it I've spent an hour reading about the Basque language and the history of the Republic of Texas. And now it's nearly two in the morning. <sigh /> I'll try reading this again tomorrow.

WordWhiz said...

Hermes, you are such a romantic!!! This is awesome. Your women readers, myself included, are going to be all over this one!

BTW: Great date last night! No big "O" yet, but he is a GREAT kisser. Really nice guy. Treated me like I was something special. I think I could learn to get used to that - with a little effort.

(Had to delete and repost - bothersome typo.)

SierraBella said...

"Shrink wrapped in total darkness..."
Love it!

Hermes said...

Sar. Of course I do.

Cheesecakey. Thanks. I approached this one a little differently than my usual fair.

Jasmine. They were probably ratton. :) Thanks for the very sweet words. I'm glad you liked it.

Danny. Well, at first I was thinking more along the lines of a stalker. I was listening to "Every Breath you Take" by the Police when I wrote it. Then it somehow changed into something else entirely.

Digitalicat. Don't you hate those crazy, mile long tangents? Come back and tell me what you think though, I'm curious.

Wordwhiz. What about male readers. What do I need to do to draw in more of those? More bouncer stories?

I'm glad the date went well by the way.

Sierrabella. At first I went with "bubble wrap" then I thought all of those silly pops might ruin the mood. ;)

RuKsaK said...

Are you working on anything bigger? A novel - anything like that?

You've got great talent here - that's my take anyway, and would just like to know if you're doing anything else.

Jay said...

Beautiful words. I brought up the painting to admire it while I read - truly inspired.

-G.D. said...

Oh....most excellent!

Joe said...

This piece reminds me a lot of Jim Morrison's "Awake."

A vast, radiant beach under a cool, jewelled moon
Couples, naked, race down by it's quiet side...

Very nice work, Hermes. It's almost enough for me to feel the sand in my butt.

Hermes said...

Ruksak. As a matter of fact I do have a project in the works. It's strictly hush, hush but I can tell you it's raw, epic, and my best work to date... in my mind.

I've completed one sentence.

Tacit. It was a lazy afternoon... very relaxing. What does your body involuntarily do when you're relaxed... when you're say, sitting in a hot bath?

Tattooed Brain. Ruk never compared me to Charles Bukowski, however. I think you are definitely his fav. I'm the misfit step-child.

Thanks for the comment. To quote Dirk Diggler from Boogie Nights... "I promise to keep rockin' and rollin' if you do..."

Jay. Did you see my reflection in the mirror behind the woman? And... thanks for stopping by the Dive Bar.

G.D Glad you liked it. I appreciate the comment.

Digitalicat. Wow. That's an awesome compliment. To have my writing compared to Morrison is an honor in itself... even if it's just one piece. Thanks digitalipimp.