Saturday, June 25, 2005

Snow and Show in Vegas

A sparkling night, starry skies kissed by the dry light of a thousand watts of electric boog-a-loo neon bliss... the strip. I'm dressed to the hilt in a black Gucci suit, feeling good. Smoked Prada shades reflect the rays of my dilated eyes as a thousand tourists pass me by, snapping pictures of fountains, lions, and “pirates of the carribean” kitschy bullshit. My boys and I in our rented black Deville, looking for thrills, shoot to kill; out of towner's here for the party, hardly sleeping, hardly thinking, just fiending about sniffing another six lines up our manicured metrosexual noses. A couple of bumps or a fat rail, and you're guaranteed to sail. Everything else pales.

“Yo Uncle Vic, what's on the itinerary?”

Vic, who's not really our uncle and only five years older, with eye's never once leaving the road, his shifty gaze forever fixed forward. “Whatever, Kid, whatever you want to do. I'm feeling Drai's or Ghost. Whatchu think?”

My friend Chris reclining in the back, legs stretched out, like a VIP: “I don't give a shit, as long as we get fucking lit.”

“Don't worry about it bro', we're covered. My man from LA will meet us wherever with whatever with WHOMEVER, whenever we're ready for more, Capeesh?”

I sniff once then swallow hard and lick my lips, god how I love the taste of the drip. “Uncle Vic you always take care of us. You always got the hook-ups.”

“Hey you know it Kid, Uncle Vic never let's you down, am I right?"

Us, in unision. "Nope."

"Am I right you little pricks?”

11 comments:

jazz said...

gucci. tell me you don't really wear gucci and prada and that it's all fiction...

LeeLoreya said...

just like the hotel's name, vegas is a "mirage", an apparition, it wakes up at night, along with the coyotes and other rapacious beasts.

Car scenes are interesting, it give a sense of pace to conversation, and also that it's the place moves around the characters, not them shyly discovering the territory, the lights swirl endlessly, and they observe it from the middle of the tornado, in a position of power, just like they're masters of the place.

Hermes said...

Danny. Malevolent is a good word to describe the sleepless city. Miles outside of the city quietly lie countless unclaimed bodies who can attess to this.

Jasmine. It's funny you're more disturbed by the fact this character wears Gucci and Prada then the fact he's a complete COKEHEAD. lol.

Part of the "show" as the title to the piece implies. Especially when you're dealing with a Cadillac full of young Guido's, wanna be mobsters.

Leeloreya. It was like that scene in "Romeo and Juliet" where they were all in the car and it felt as though we were spinning endlessly on a turntable as the blurred, blinding, colorful lights and ugly tourists whizzed by us at incredible rates.

Perhaps it was the cocaine.

LeeLoreya said...

yeah you could even interpret mercutio's queen mab speech as alluding to the "fairy powder".

WordWhiz said...

Hope to be in Vegas in a few months. I'll give you my impressions of "the strip". Have never been there.

Adrian said...

The drip. Disgusting in any other life, unless you're a fiend.

Hermes said...

LeeLoreya. Ah, Queen Mab! Yes the "fairy" dust. I in fact have made that comparison in other pieces. However, I think I compared Extacy to her.

Tacit. It was definitely pre-Columbine. I haven't been to that high school since graduation but I can imagine they tightened up security. Hell, security was tightened that very summer after the "incident."

A couple of kids vandalized the school mural.

Wordwhiz. Vegas is an amazing place. If you've never been before, you will probably be in awe. Everyone always is the first time.

If you need some pointers or advice on where to go or what to do let me know... I've been there COUNTLESS times.

Aydreeyin. Unless you're a fiend my friend... true. If you ARE a fiend, it tastes, and feels, like heaven.

shana p. said...

one of my favorite places....going in July and back for more in August, sans drip (ah, memories)and a carfull of guidos, but rewind 16 years and I would have called it one hell of a good time! Now, a massage and a mojito is more my speed.

Hermes said...

Cheesecakey. I wish I had known you 16 years ago. Hell, I'm GLAD I know you now. ;)

shana p. said...

.... that's very sweet, I feel the same way. Your blog is a gift to me because it reminds me so much of some of the genuine fun I had when I was younger, instead of thinking, oh god, did I really do that??? It is very liberating to not only think, 'yes, I did that, and it was fun, goddamnit!'

Hermes said...

Funny you mention that... Vic kind of LOOKS like Jo Pesci too.