Saturday, June 11, 2005

The Mambo Kings.

part one

2002. On Thursday night we'd always wear black... and our crosses. It was always our favorite night of the week as it was the night we'd hit the Latin club... on Salsa night. It was our lifeblood. At the time, it was the one night we felt completely at home. In our element. Among our kin. It was the one night, out of the five nights we'd go out clubbing, that we could dance the dances we loved, enjoy the music we grew up on, converse with the women we loved to converse with, and talk shit and laugh with our crew, which was mostly composed of Latinos. My cousin, Angel, and I lived for Thursday nights. It was OUR Friday.

I'd usually get off around 9. We'd always meet at Angel's to drink and shower and get ready for the night. It was my job to bring the booze as I was the only one with a car. On my way to Angel's after work, I'd swing by the liquor store and depending on our mood I'd either buy: Bacardi Limon to mix with Sprite, Triple Sec and Sweet and Sour for Long Island's, or a cheap-ass bottle of Tequila and some limes to simply shoot. We were deeply immersed in the club scene back then. We'd go out 5 nights a week, Monday through Saturday. We'd rest on Sunday. Even God rested on Sunday, we figured we should too. Looking back, I think if there were any clubs that were actually popping on Sunday or Monday we would have gone out. On our day's “off” we'd usually “maintain our stables.” Sunday and Monday were date nights. We'd spend these nights with our girlfriend's, or fuck-buddies, or booty calls, or whomever else. Thus the comparison to a stable. We always had 5-6 women apiece at our beck and call. We were real pieces of shit back then. In many ways, we still are.

Anyhow, as I mentioned, we'd all meet up at Angel's every night to get our drink on and prepare for the upcoming night out. We'd take turns showering, blast some rap, Merengue, or Spanish reggae at intolerably high levels, and play FIFA soccer on the old Playstation. Oh, and of course we'd drink, did I mention that? His house was a shit hole. If one were to drive by one would usually find a broken down, powder blue Dodge Dart sitting in the driveway. This beater car belonged to Angel's roommate. We called the Dart “Baby Blue.” It was always in some sort of a state of disrepair. You'd also always find about 2 or 3 motorcycles parked in the driveway... our babies. Angel had zero furniture with the exception of a hole ridden couch we found on the roadside, a mattress, and a big screen TV, and a top of the line, very "hot" (stolen) stereo system. We were broke as shit back then, but happy.

Ironically, girls didn't seem to object to our way of life. In fact, they were drawn to us even more because of it. Perhaps we offered the enticing hint of danger and intrigue. Perhaps they'd fuck us whenever they felt the urge to “slum” or spend a night on the wrong side of the tracks. Or perhaps, they could sense we really didn't give a fuck. Despite our poverty, we were secure in ourselves and our way of life, if not cocky and arrogant. Unlike the rich, pathetic bastards uptown who would kiss their asses and blow wads of cash on them in order to get laid, in stunning contrast, we'd merely fuck them, (and fuck them very well might I add) roll over, go to sleep, and instruct them to let themselves out AFTER they've scratched our backs with their well manicured fingernails. Yes, I'd definitely say we were arrogant. Hey, we were Latin-Italian kings. We loved “La Virgen,” our mothers, and each other. We watched out for each other. And we were damned good looking, all of us.

16 comments:

Hermes said...

Still residing in the shadowy recesses of my memories.

Hermes said...

It seems like forever ago to me. So much has changed since then. I lived a completely different life. I was still a kid.

Hermes said...

Perhaps I picked the wrong word to describe myself back then. "Arrogance" is too gentle. I think "hubris" would be a more fitting descriptor.

However, to answer your question, arrogance has morphed into confidence.

SierraBella said...

Arrogance -> confidence is good.
Much better than arrogance -> jail or worse.
Part Two should prove interesting.

(Went to H.S. with an arrogant young guy who ended up dead in the trunk of a car with his father inside as well. The father survived and the other brothers sort of disappeared from sight.)

Hermes said...

SierraBella. It should. Trust me, things turn very ugly.

jazz said...

but what hasn't changed is that you're still a hot man who's probably pretty good in bed if the girls kept coming back.

Juno said...

Personally I favor confidence over arrogance--infinitely more interesting and far more substantial.

shana p. said...

having had a couple of ex-boyfriends just like you and your friends I can say that the appeal is definitely in the confidence and knowing your way around a woman.... it was all fun until emotions got involved but I don't regret one fun filled minute!

Scribe Called Steff said...

I'd rather hear more about now, myself. But hey.

I think it's sort of a lack of action or something real happening in this piece, kind of like it's preamble or something. Maybe?

Blunter than I normally am, but you're a big boy. You know I like your stuff. Just saying. :)

The choice of bloggers everywhere.

Hermes said...

Sar. Bak then we threw all caution to the wind and went wherever the wind, and our dicks, took us. I'm still impulsive but in different ways.

Jasmine. Perhaps, and perhaps I have other attributes as well.

Juno. Confidence is preferable. It's a crappy metaphor but I think I have the quiet, cool confidence of one who has gone to war and seen lots of shit. Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment by the way!

Tacit. I LEARNED firsthand nice guys finish last...with the WRONG women that is...;)

Cheesecakey. Kinda like John Travolta's character in "Grease" right? The bad boy from the wrong side of the tracks is always more fun for a likeminded, young party girl...and older women as well, not just the young ones.

Steff. I try not to reveal too much about myself now. Or perhaps I do, and I intentionally mis-date my work, who knows?

Give it a chance, it's only part one. An intro to something bigger and more material.

Scribe Called Steff said...

Aha! It is a preamble. I love being right.

Give it another chance? Aw, for you, I'll do it.

And don't worry, I still remember it's your house. ;)

Adrian said...

Been missing for a while and I'm now catching up. Excellent. I was just wondering what would happen if you experimented with the dead-on street/nightclub prose and the delicate fantasy stuff?

What monster of a story would that make?

HAve you thought of it before?

Hermes said...

Aydreeyin. Thanks.

Question: Why write in fantasy when reality was so much more exciting? Part 2 is in the works. ;)

Adrian said...

Not necessarily fantasy, but just fictionalized reality. Like the Zanzibar piece and the "La Fée Verte" one. Just wondering...

Hermes said...

Aydreeyin. You're on to something. About 5-6 really cool ideas just popped into my head.

I think I will give it a go. As you and I BOTH know I'm rapidly running out of ideas... and available emotions.

Adrian said...

Glad to have been of service.

Of course this means when I run out of ideas and my writing takes a turn for the worse, I will be calling in my marker for one good idea. Later.