Sunday, June 12, 2005

Regret

Zanzibar. Now.

A smoky blues bar right on 7th and 3rd. A place to chill and unwind; to shake the knots out. I sit in a corner booth nursing a vodka tonic and a cigar: a twenty-five dollar "Padron" I bought at a store right off Broadway named "Havana John's." The billowy puffs of curling smoke try, with all of their might, to cast me under their spell. To hypnotize me. To control me. To rob me of air. The stick tastes so robust, well aged pre-embargo Cuban tobacco, rolled under the watchful eye of Orlando Padron himself many, many years ago in a sweat shop half a world away... or so I'd like to think.

I'm here tonight to see you. I think I promised you over twenty times I'd come and hear you sing, well, here I am... in a starched, simple white shirt sans tie, top two buttons undone, a black suit coat, and matching slacks. I'm dressed very art-deco tonight, very... black and white. I think the whole joint is cast in shades of black and white and gray except for you, up on that raised stage in an elegant red number that sparkles like Dorothy's ruby slippers. It's almost as red as your pouty lips... but not quite. A perfect compliment to your 50's inspired hair, pulled up in a neat, elaborate art-deco bun, revealing those silky white shoulders I've kissed countless times. This is my home and your voice is my bed. It envelopes me like 400 thread Egyptian cotton. I float in the air high up in the night sky among the dreams, stars, and the cottony clouds of thick cigar smoke exhaled from a million mouths of a million jaded cynics in a million blues bars. You spy me in the dark audience in my dark corner among the throng of admiring hep-cats and big dogs. You hold your gaze and I know you sing to me alone. I know you try, so damned hard, to hypnotize me. To control me. To rob me of air.

"When you left I lost a part of me,
It's still so hard to believe
Come back baby, please,
Cause we belong together."


The chorus in your breathy blues rendition of a popular pop song. You smile as you sing the sweet lyrics, close your eyes for just a second, and slowly nod. I raise my glass to you in an appreciative thanks. Although, I know my presence here will not justify the ills I handed you over the years. I know my pathetic little gesture... it just doesn't cut it. It's not enough. You see, it doesn't erase the fact I moved on.

After your set you come over to my table. I tell you how amazing you sounded. I give you a frigid, careless kiss on the cheek, metal scraping against stone, and I thank you for inviting me tonight. I'm as gracious as an old time movie star giving an Oscar acceptance speech in one of the great movie houses of yesterday. A meaningless song and dance, a display of feathers, and you know it. However it will suffice...

...or so I'd like to think.

25 comments:

Hermes said...

Sar. And then... nothing. It was last call, very late. I went home and went to bed. I'm not the young man I was.

Thanks for the kind words. :)

WordWhiz said...

"...metal scraping on stone..."

That was such a great description. I have felt that image in personal experience and your wording was ideal. Another sad, but vivid, tale.

Scribe Called Steff said...

Bitter like a candy sour. Nice.

Sultry overtones.

LeeLoreya said...

another great stop on the highway of my imagined america. Mystical and quietly cruel, I think.

WordWhiz said...

Hermes: Looks like I owe you another drink, huh?

Hermes said...

Wordwhiz. Thanks. I think I'm ready to claim those drinks by the way.

Steff. Like sour patch kids. A whole handful of 'em.

LeeLoreya. Yes, America. A land of milk and honey.

Danny. They say honesty is the best policy. I agree. Deception and false hopes are so cruel and so... yesterday.

WordWhiz said...

Hermes: If we ever find ourselves in the same general geographic location, we'll visit the nearest dive bar. I'll be buying. :-)

SierraBella said...

"However it will suffice...
...or so I'd like to think."

I believe that leaves an opening to another, perhaps much later chapter.

There are certain people who drift into and out of our lives, but never totally leave our gravitational orbit.

emeralda said...

hermes, i thank you.
the whole point is: such feelings need a skin to cover them. Soap bubbles are only so beautiful because they have a skin in which the world is reflected, shimmering innocently...
as for moving on: I can relate so well. this is another story. maybe i will tell it one day in my blog. but lauryn hill said to me today in a song: anything that does not grow is dead. i agree again.
lots of virtual and real love
piranha

Hermes said...

Wordwhiz. Deal. I'm holding you to it.

Sierrabella. I see how it could be interpreted that way. Unfortunately, there won't be a part 2 to this one. I gently closed that book and set it back up on the bookshelf with the rest of my memories. "Or so I'd like to think..." ;)

Piranha. I like that analogy... soap resting on the surface of water. One could also say the same of oil.

Steve. Uh-oh, yet another request for a sequel. Must I go back out to the club this upcoming weekend and CREATE a chapter 2? LOL.

Thanks for the kind words.

Joe said...

Metal and stone. Clever choice of words there.

Hermes said...

Digitalicat. Thanks. I think it was the perfect fit.

Tacit. "How we don't know if he's really over her or just kidding himself that he's moved on"

Aren't those one and the same?

Hmmm, I think it isn't necessarily regret for moving on... it's regret for sticking around. Perhaps staying in her life, always slightly out of reach, is crueler than walking the fuck away and never looking back?

Adrian said...

Nicely captured moments between two people and the confusion of relationships and after the relationship. I particularly liked the smoking scene:

"billowy puffs of curling smoke try, with all of their might, to cast me under their spell. To hypnotize me. To control me."

Nice.

Hermes said...

Aydreeyin. Thanks. Did you notice the use of repetition of that phrase later on in the piece? I'm curious if it was effective.

Tacit. It's all in the eye of the beholder... thus the beauty in it, or any thought provoking work, I think. You're absolutely correct though, this situation is abject and vague. I think this vagueness may mirror the mind of the character. I don't think he is truly aware of how he feels. There exist only ideas and theories, no facts.

My question is this, can emotions ever be certainties? Gravity is a certainty. Is love?

Hermes said...

Sar. The love you would feel for your child: wouldn't that be a very real, very concrete certainty? It's undoubtedly there... like gravity...and it transcends the ever-shifting, fickle, and oftentimes fleeting love you'd feel for a mate. It's truer. Unlike romantic love... which can easily turn into hate.

WordWhiz said...

Hey Hermes...how are you feeling? Did you kick the cold?

Hermes said...

Sar. Ah, I see. So then the question is answered.

Of course.. one day the Earth will explode, or implode, and gravity will CEASE to exist...

So I guess NOTHING is certain.

Hermes said...

Wordwhiz. Aw, you are such a sweetheart.

Yes I did kick it... but I caught another bug.

WordWhiz said...

I'm sorry to hear that. I have some flowers I could send! Or how about some whiskey? I owe you a couple drinks.

Get well!! I miss your posts! :o)

jazz said...

in typical hermes fashion: sultry, smoky, beautiful...

you are so good....

LeeLoreya said...

Sar, you're a very metaphysical kind of person.

LeeLoreya said...

(it's a compliment, even though I say otherwise on my blog)
(that's not very convincing is it?)
(Hum...no it is not.Sorry)

The Humanity Critic said...

Great piece, very good.

WordWhiz said...

Okay, Hermes...you're worrying me now. If you're just seeing how long people will continue to post comments on the same old blog...well good for you and goof on us. HA! Brag on, brother. "I'm so great, they keep heaping the praise on for DAYS!" AMEN!

But if you're sick, I'm coming over with the whiskey and the nursemaid! Hell...I'll play nursemaid. If Steve's boyfriend can do it, so can I. Can you maybe hold on thought until after my date on Friday? I'd hate to miss it. Dates been pretty few and far between. Thanks.

Hermes said...

Jasmine. Thanks for the comment. You knw what? "Smoky" IS a good word to describe it.

Tacit1. Nothing is certain. Even existence. However, you're right on...and I agree with you. I believe in temporary certainty, as you said. WHILE you are with a certain person, for a brief time, it IS real. Realer than gravity or air or the stars.

Humanity Critc. Thanks.

Wordwhiz. I'm just BASKING in comments. Bathing in it even... like a bubble bath. Wallowing in comments like a pig wallows in mud....Nah, actually I'm not.

I just haven't had anything worthwhile to say.

I'd rather YOU play nursemaid by the way... or you could dress up like a swedish MILKMAID... with pigtails and wooden shoes.