Monday, June 06, 2005

Necropolis

Is there a place where forsaken words go after we have discarded them? An “elephant graveyard” perhaps where all of the sentences that could have been a part of something bigger, something...beautiful, but didn’t, go to die in silence, forever deleted from existence, forever unheard? These sentences lie in the rain like the rusted, skeletal remains of junked out 747’s. The seats, torn and covered in cobwebs, nestled in its belly basked in quiet darkness; the words, forever staring forward with a ghastly, hollow expression of loss and hopelessness, their tray tables forever in an upright and locked position.

Or rather, it isn’t a graveyard at all. Rather, it is a city: a dead city… a necropolis. This city, at first glance, from a great distance, appears normal, with billowing smoke and towers rising up into the heavens. However, as you travel closer you may notice a complete lack of life or movement; an overbearing stillness, except for the winds, that always howl and race in rage. As you travel even closer you may notice decay. The buildings crumble and the windows lack glass. Garbage, refuse, and rock lay scattered in heaps along the streets. Torn flags, remembering happier days once proud and colorful, sway and bow and dance to the gray clouds in a perpetual grotesque dance - a dance begging for sun, for a respite from the acid rain, even if it’s the briefest of instants. However, the true terror dawns upon entering the city itself. Past the gates, that rise 50 stories, ancient and rusted, you will see swarms of them, thousands...no millions...of words, once beautiful, trudging along the streets: horrific, twisted versions of what they once were, or could have been, or what they were meant to be, that is, before being abandoned for something better. They slowly slouch searching for purpose. Longing to be wanted yet at the same time devoid of emotion. Desperately hungering for usefulness in a useless world, the words, once so vigorous, now dead. A million whispers all pleading for help in a million different tongues. Incomprehensible jabber.

It is rumored they wait. They wait for the resurrection. They all carry the false hope, each and every one of them, that one-day they will all blissfully live in a paradise on Earth. Their sentence is eternal.

19 comments:

WordWhiz said...

Hermes: Are you like me...someone who edits and edits and edits?? I can spend all day - sometimes two days if it's really important - on a freakin' email message. I tend to be too verbose. While some of my edits involve word substitutions, other times I'm striking sentences, entire paragraphs. Maybe I should save the forgotten words and sentences to be used later. Hmm...

jazz said...

this is stunning. seriously. i love it.

Hermes said...

Sar. I think I will plan out a trip. Steve, myself, and you will fly there in a hot air balloon. Let me tell you, the view from the air is breathtaking. It looks so...peaceful... from the sky.

Steve. Thanks for the kind words. It would be a very bizarre painting indeed. Perhaps one day I will commission an artist to ATTEMPT to paint it.

Wordwhiz. I've sent many words to the graveyard. I also have a really bad habit of editing only AFTER I have published. If you were to come back tommorrow and re-read this piece you might find some of the sentence structure and wording different. Or maybe not.

Jasmine. Thanks! I'm glad you like.

Danny. Yes, it is a sanctuary for the hollow. Or is it a prison? Just think of the army one could create should one manage to unite this army of the undead. Think of the power.....!

Hermes said...

It would be a brief visit. I think it'd be a quite disturbing place. I envision an image out of a George Romero film. However, it's only a pitstop. You and I and Steve will be flying around the world...hopefully in 80 days or less. And that's a promise.

Adrian said...

I enjoyed this one, too. It's all imagination and the things you think about when no one's around.

I'm reminded of Ballard and Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities.

Hermes said...

Elfin. Please do...Pull up a stool and join me on my journey. Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate that.

Aydreeyin. Glad you caught that. This piece is HEAVILY inspired by Calvino. I love invisible cities.

And...thanks.

Adrian said...

I've only read Invisibel Cities, but I'd like to read more.

If you haven't read it yet, you should get Ballard's collection of short stories.

Hermes said...

Aydreeyin. That would be J.G Ballard right? I think I will check it out. I'm going to order his short stories collection thru Amazon on my next pay check.

SierraBella said...

"... their tray tables forever in an upright and locked position."
Just love it!

Hermes said...

Tacit. You save them? That's very good. Like an artist who carries a sketchbook to jot down ideas, however inane or silly they may be. Myself, on the other hand, if I don't like what I wrote I will delete the words off of my computer in a fit or rage and disgust. I am way too anal for my own good. "Out damned spot!"

Pity, upon looking back, I think some of those words and sentences might have needlessly been sacrificed.

Hermes said...

Sierrabella. Heh, heh. I thought that line was pretty clever myself. Can you believe it? Clever... me? Dare I say, I think it might have been the highlight of the piece.

Unknown said...

I'm also a fan of the imagery, but I can't think of anything relevant to say about it that hasn't already been said.

I actually write first in a sketchbook before I type anything up. Just about everything I start but don't finish is in the same book that I use to write, until I fill it that is. As a result, a lot of my undeveloped ideas get used as images in other stories.

WordWhiz said...

So Hermes...have you edited since yesterday??

Hermes said...

Wombat. I think I might start carrying a sketchbook around with me (like I used to when I was younger but have since stooped doing). It's funny how all of the great ideas will come and go as you're say...driving, or taking a shit.

Tacit. That way, I can re-use it later either by expanding on said idea, or splicing it into another piece. Like you do.

Wordwhiz. Nope, haven't edited. I haven't done much of anything I've been sick as a dog. When I don't feel well and don't sleep enough, I can't write about much of anything as hard as I try. Maybe I should start using my blog as a blog and begin recording daily events in my life such as this stubborn Bronchitis I have?

Tattooed. I don't know, I've always been fascinated with the downtrodden, and empathatic. When I was younger I volunteered my time working at the local Soup Kitchen's and Habitat for Humanity. I like helping people, but more importantly, I liked "interviewing" them and studying them. They are actually quite wise despite their circumstances. To get back to the point, the image "Elephant Graveyard" has always reminded me of these people. Like elephants they were once proud and a lot of them had lives. Something happened at one point or another, drug addiction, tragedy, loss of assets, so...they come to the kitchen's and shelters to basically die. To give up.

Anonymous said...

Beautifully stated...

WordWhiz said...

Hermes: You are a DOLL! Thanks for your comments on my blog. I hope you're feeling better and I'm sorry about the cavities!!

Adrian said...

Elephant graveyards. You should read The White Bone. You should be able to find it at the library. It's kind of complicated as she makes an entire vocabulary for the elephants.

The Humanity Critic said...

Awsome post, unique imagery..

Hermes said...

Anonymous. Thanks.

Wordwhiz. Well a full day of uninterrupted sleep has alleviated it a little bit, but I still feel like dogshit. Thanks. And as for the kind words? I just say it as it is.

Aydreeyin. I read the review on Amazon. It looks really interesting. I think I will add it to my library checklist.(Man I'm getting backed up. I need to start reading more)

Humanity Critic. Thanks for stopping by. You write a hilarious blog by the way.

Superfreak. Wow, Well, um thanks...I think. May I opt for a Gordita instead?