Sunday, October 30, 2005

Ghost

Somewhere between the debauched, pulsating city of neon and the desolate sea. Somewhere out in the dry, disenchanted blackness. Somewhere on an empty stretch of concrete... I zoom along on my TL-1000, pumping my fist in the air like Tom Cruise from a decadent 80's action film. Old army ruksack tied to my back, worn leather straps flapping away, containing a bottle of Jarritos guava, 3 apples, and a bag of flour tortillas I bought at a fruitstand in little Tijuana from a kind senorita with leathery skin and sad eyes. Leaning forward, full tuck, I twist the accelerator... 85... 100... 115... 125. The air becomes heavier and tears creep out sneakily tip-toeing across my face and then like little spiders leap into the wind to realize their dreams. One slip, one patch of gravel, one split-second screw-up, and I'm fucking dead. The poison running through my veins, the wake-up juice, the fire water, crystal meth keeps me one step ahead of the blurred lights and white stripes. Like a sniper I blend into the dreamy speed-scape, I'm one with the cylindrical, high velocity tick-tock roar of the thousand cc supersport V-twin.

I am the bodhissatva of torque.

And I heard on good authority from Awakener Avalokitesvara - he is the hearer and answerer of prayer - that I'll live to drink, laugh, and fuck another day.

Just for kicks I flip the lights off for a minute or two trusting the fact the road will continue on straight and true. I trust I won't hit a lizard or large juicy spider and skid out of control and be tossed off my bike into a jagged rock or better yet, be dragged along underneath the 600 lb machine, as the rocky cement gnaws away at my leg and torso like a hungy, late nineteenth-century industrial monstrosity. I'm playing with a revolver that only has one round empty. Tick-tock, tick tock, fade into grainy black and white, slow it down, cut the sound. Here I am, higher than high, hanging on to the giant hands of time like Harold Lloyd.

19 comments:

Deb said...

There is something to be said about pouring out your adrenalin into the road. The whole experience itself is simply amazing. This was brilliant and written very well.

Thanks for the ride!

LH said...

What a ride! I got an adrenal rush just reading it. Avalokitesvara, the personification of compassion; saving all souls from the Ocean of Illusion (so the story goes...IF you even believe that story), apparently did grant you another day to drink, laugh, and f#%@! It's a good thing because I just saved Dive Bar Verses as a favorite link. Another superb bit. I could hear the motor purr and feel the rush - so much that I read it a few times.

Oh, and I love Jarritos. Haven't had one in eons...since Juarez maybe 10 or so years ago.

-G.D. said...

Russian roulette...macho style.

Nice ride, as always.

BTW, You are quite the chick magnet.

LeeLoreya said...

i like the sad snack selling woman bit. I could feel the deserted dust making my eyes cry on some lonely road.

Adams Avenue said...

The air becomes heavier and tears creep out sneakily tip-toeing across my face and then like little spiders leap into the wind to realize their dreams.

You're a metaphorical genius.

Now. When are you going to take me for a ride?

Hermes said...

Deb. Some would argue it's even better than sex.

Exploring_Idly. Avalokitesvara has been very kind. Or perhaps this soul is beyond redemption? Thanks for the add.

G.D. Chick Magnet? Hah! If only they knew about the deformed, ghastly twin growing out of my stomach.

LeeLoreya. Desolation can be so heartbreaking. Yet at the same time so hopeful, and rife with certainty.

Colonialave. Then hit the road with me Bonnie Parker.

Red Egg. Gee, you're right. Why is that? Why don't I have any male readership?

extraspecialbitter said...

I am the bodhissatva of torque.

This declaration is even better than George Carlin's: I am Fuck of the Mountain.

Sealegs said...

oui. hermes attracts a great deal o' women to his sight. and I don't mind bein' one of them.

What can I say, you've got a way with words captin'...

arg. I love motorcycles.

LyZa said...

i can't believe such a simple thing can be written so well. ^_^



===================================

a great mind attracts girls. i think they find it sexy. i for one find it both stimulating and sexy at the same time.

MrRyanO said...

Hermes! Dude! I've been on this ride since the Ninja stories (IMO the best stories to date!). Am I not part of the male readership?

I read all of your stories and would comment more often, but typically my attempts to comment are reduced to mindless drivel when I am in the midst of you female fan club! I'm more content to sit back and let the good times roll!

BTW...another excellent piece!

Rock ON!

Hermes said...

Extraspecial. Indeed, it is a bold statement made by a delusional egomaniac.

Red Egg. Shucks, I didn't know "gee" was an outdated phrase. Don't tell Wally, the Beav, or Eddie Haskell.

As for whether I'm serious or pulling your leg... neither. It's more a half-hearted, passing interest. I'm curious, but the suspense isn't particularly killing me.

Sealegs. Motorcycles? Just admit it, you dig bad-boys... it counterbalances your wholesome, crispy goodness.

Lyza. What if you discovered I had a deformed twin growing out of my belly. Could you look past this.... um, setback?

RockDog. You're right, and I apologize. I do have some extremely loyal, kick-ass male fans.

Ahhh, the ninja stories... now that takes me back. In fact, I think that's when you hopped on to this runaway train right?

Sealegs said...

I'm attracted to intelligence in all its forms. However, a bad boy without anything to back it up- no depth- is a complete turn off.

You seem to have something else- Something deeper.

Autumn Storm said...

"I'll live to drink, laugh, and fuck another day." Can I steal this?

LMB said...

Boo! Happy Halloween!

When I would cruise around Riverside, CA on my Honda Elite, I hated the bugs in the hair and teeth, but the thrill of having that big throbbing thing between yer legs pulsating with power...Mmmm...big juicy spiders. And yes, you do attract a gaggle of "girls".

Heehee.

kathi said...

Okay, babe, this scared the hell out of me. It's like you take us there with you, and it's not that I'm scared for myself, but I fear losing you. You have got such talent, I'm just in awe of you.

Hermes said...

Sea Legs. No. Just another mask beneath a mask beneath a mask. I am a matryoshka doll, a rotten onion, and once you tear away the layers you will find absolutely nothing.

Autumn Storm. Sure, I'll send you the bill.

Desolation Angel. " the thrill of having that big throbbing thing between yer legs pulsating with power."

Huh? Now we're talking about a Honda Elite here.

A gaggle of girls and girlish men too? Boo to you!

Kathi. I'm often amazed that my most precious worldly posessions lie in my head, on my back, or between my legs.

Adams Avenue said...

Ahhh yes. Let us embark on the fantasy, Mr. Barrow.

MrRyanO said...

Hey Hermes! Just messing with you...and who wouldn't mind having such a beautiful fan club!

RockTown, USA

LyZa said...

Lyza. What if you discovered I had a deformed twin growing out of my belly. Could you look past this.... um, setback?


==============================

honestly speaking? yes. i'm not being hypocrite here. I mean I will forget the "deformed twin" when i'm talking to you. There is more than the physical aspect of humans.