Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Take me home

Eight empty shot glasses lined up on the bar in a neat, little, obsessive-compulsive row. My mouth tastes like pennies and rusted fillings. I casually pick at the complimentary wooden bowl full of stale nuts halfheartedly trying to satiate the intense hunger that stings at my aching soul. It’s Karaoke night at the dive bar. Some old man sings John Denver’s “Country Roads.” I think about the city. I miss the East Coast.

I miss the way “life used to be.”

I really should be at home in bed but then what would be the point in that? I’d rather be here: lucid, dreaming, and awake, shooting away my sorrows. Listening to the sad tales around me. Joining in the mournful chorus of wailing ghosts.

A blonde, toothless whore named “Bonnie” sits next to me vying for my attention. She’s a former heroin addict with leathery skin. She’s a flitting shadow of her former self. Once upon a time, probably back in the heavy metal 80’s, she was a very beautiful woman. Time hasn’t been kind. 15 years, one ruptured silicon implant, numerous drug and alcohol addictions, and 5 kids later: she’s tore up. How does the phrase go?

"Ridden hard and put away wet.”

She’s telling me about her ex husband. He’s a biker. In fact, he’s a lieutenant and a hired gun for the outlaw motorcycle organization “the Banditos.” Why she’s telling me I have no idea. To impress me perhaps? I listen though. As long as she keeps buying me shots of Tequila and slipping me smokes I’ll continue to listen. Isn’t that all what we search for, someone who is willing to listen? Here and there I’ll throw in a lame quip or a stupid joke in between her stories of yesteryear. Her laugh is grating… like nails on a chalkboard. It’s the wheezing, silent laugh of chain smoking, trailer park royalty. I try not to look at her row of rotted gum.

I’ll probably go home with her tonight. Somehow I’m always able to find the beauty in any woman I meet. especially after 8 shots of Tequila and 4 beers. Her body isn’t too bad. I’ll satisfy her fantasy tonight. I’ll give her some company and pleasure. In return, she’ll provide me a fleeting, temporary escape quickly followed by shuddering, convulsive feelings of disgust and panic and then calm… as I pass out in her bed with my cock still buried deep inside her as we lay among a million stuffed animals alone in her double-wide.

I’ll be sure not to kiss her on the mouth.

17 comments:

Autumn Storm said...

You'll be happy/disgusted to know, I am now singing "Take me home" at the top of my voice. As always, interesting choice of scene/topic - this post has a very different feel to it than all your previous work, despite the variety that has always existed there.

LeeLoreya said...

always looking to be listened, be satisfied, without any loss or sacrifice.under control.routine. then it all starts again clean. i like the dreariness in here.it's so palpable.

Unknown said...

i love it hermes- a question comes to mind-- who is the whore in this story??

The Snakehead said...

Sad, pathetic, distressing, pitiable, poignant.

Rock bottom yet?

LMB said...

Yeah...me and you are brothers in the same vein. I set my standards pretty low, too. Hell, all you'll be doing is staring at her ear and pillow, anyway.

But, I digress, don't kiss that mouth.

Ew. Been there. And it ain't pretty.

Rae Ann said...

An interesting metaphor for blogging sometimes. All that wanting someone to hear what you've got to say even if it doesn't matter. But it does matter. It all does.

-G.D. said...

I guess your blogging bitches are not enough. :-p

Meaningless sex does the trick, however, temporary like a band-aid on a bullet hole.

I love the fact that your fiction seems so real and that your reality seems like fiction.

jazz said...

come back to the east coast! show me around all the cool places you probably hung around that i'd probably never be able to find!

a glutton for punishment, this one. telling the woman jokes, even though he can't stand the sound of her laugh.

Kirsi Marcus said...

Are these stories real? How long ago do they take place? Are you reflecting on a distant past, or last Thursday?

Not that it matters, but I'm curious.

Nick Danger said...

Sport Fucking nasty hags...your giving me a chubby

Adams Avenue said...

Home? Where is home exactly? Where the heart is? Where happieness lies? Where people you love are kept and comforted?

Lonliness is boredom and pity wrapped up in a quaint little package called "self loathing." In my experience - Home is where one feels most alive. Find where that is . . . and run with it.

And hun, you KNOW you could get some sweeter piece of ass here on the East coast - and they'll probably buy you shots too ;)

Scribe Called Steff said...

Better you than me, honey.

I'd rather stay in, drink a bottle of wine, have music and smoke from candles swirling around me, write it out, and die until dawn when the fatigue ebbs into my bones.

Keep my dignity for a fraction longer. ;)

The writing? Good. Reeks of digust, just right.

The Cunting Linguist.

extraspecialbitter said...

years ago George Swede wrote the haiku:

leaving
my loneliness
inside her

Mad Munkey said...

Excellent job once again.

Hermes said...

Autumn Storm. Well it entirely depends... did you sing it naked?

Josie. Who's to say this character's actions weren't in fact the final leap? Thanks for commenting on my blog by the way!

LeeLoreya. Would you say palpable dreariness is more desirable than impalpable happiness?

Ale. Who's the whore? Do you say po-tay-toe or po-taht-o?

Snakehead. Rock Bottom? What are you talking avout. These are the moments of your life, baby!

Desolation Angel. I read somewhere once a dog's mouth is cleaner than a persons. I'm sure a dog's asshole would be cleaner than poor Bonnie's.

Rae-Ann. Every last bit. And when no one listens... we become very sad. And sometimes angry.

I suppose that's why shrinks are so handsomely paid.

G.D. A few weeks ago I placed my fiction and my reality in a blender and pressed "frappe." I don't know where the distinguishing line lies anymore.

Jay. They say plague is the leading cause of gingitivitus... how about crack?

Jasmine. Self-Destruction is masturbation.

Kirsi Jane. Certain elements... certain emotions... are real. Moreso than I'd like unfortunately.

Nick Danger. Did you name him "Checker?"

Colonialave. Would they slip me cigarettes too? I heard East Coast women are high maintenance. Is that true?

Steff. Nothing like the fresh smell of disgust in the morning eh? The best part of waking up...

Steve. Or we simply need to bust our nut and drink WAY too much. Thanks mate!

Extraspecial. About 5 million of 'em. Or perhaps my loneliness wound up in a rubber somewhere behind her bed?

Tacit. I chewed on 4 pennies just so I know how it'd taste. I'm very method.

Mad munkey. Thanks for the kind words.

Autumn Storm said...

Well, not that particular time, lol.

LMB said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.