Sunday, August 14, 2005

The Last

He was a child, no younger than eight. Born into poverty, the son of a carter, he knew hardship at an early age. He was well versed in the hard lessons of life. Every crust of bread or strip of meat had to be earned. He would often help tend the stubborn old ox as they walked for miles and miles along the rickety roads from one province to the next under the hot sun. As he silently trudged alongside his somber father, he’d steal glances into the dark forest, among the darting shadows. Wishing he’d be the first among his friends to see her. He felt no fear or hesitation.

When all seems hopeless and feelings of desolation eat away at your soul, I will be there. Through hazy eyes, across the steaming mists of the eternal forest, so lush and green, that will always exist in the farthest recesses of your mind. I will be there. Across the dry, swirling sands of the empty desert that stretch on endlessly in your cavernous heart. I will be there.

He was a young man, no older than twenty, so strong and quick. He assumed an apprenticeship as a carpenter and wiled away long hours into the night cutting and whittling, mending and crafting. With a sweaty brow he would often see the idle lords and ladies, dukes and duchesses, and the clumsy assortment of royal fools, who hoped to be seen, on parade in the cobbled streets. Sometimes he’d stand in the doorway, as the rain poured down, hoping to catch but a mere glimpse of her amidst the throng of dull eyes and bruised feet.

All I know, I can’t let go. Is it dark? Do we dream? Only yesterday we were endlessly trapped in a sad, sad song. You are a vision to me. A shimmering beautiful shadow I long to see when I close my eyes and search the sky, freeing my mind. There you are between the sparkling stars and the mournful moon smiling, always smiling, even when I cry.

He is an old man, fragile and broken, forsaken by family and friends, alone on his deathbed. A lifetime of toil and regret weigh heavily on his head and his heart, torn apart, seeks solace and rest. In between fluttering beats and raspy breaths, in between this plane and the next, among the flickering shadows of the nether regions where the dark seas meet, he finally catches but the briefest glimpse of black, wise eyes. A white mane and a single ancient horn, crafted of bone.

With a final passing smile and a sigh he can finally say goodbye to the fleeting, hard life he never knew.

21 comments:

Nicole said...

Have you thought about the writing contest on journalspace??

Scribe Called Steff said...

That was interesting. I don't actually know what to say, but that could be the too-long bikeride in 100+ temps today.

Nicely edited, though. Interesting subject matter. Kinda curious about the in-between years, though.

(Drop me a line, I've been looking into sending in stories and stuff.)

Steff lite.

Steff goes naughty (for adults).

emeralda said...

hmmmm.
i ll read it again later.
beautiful imagery and lots of space inbetween the lines to read more into it...

Valerene said...

such is life, eh?

i don't believe in destiny, but in a sick way i do. i believe we craft our own destiny, and yet while doing so, i think that maybe it's some other supreme power that controls my actions.

but i guess the feeling of thinking that we somewhat have control over our destinies makes life more than just living in our wake.

beautiful piece.

The Snakehead said...

Life's a bitch. It's like a sine wave with the crests and troughs.

That's why I love it.

Rae Ann said...

Heartbreaking until the end when redemption happens even to the most common of men.

MrRyanO said...

Hermes, I read this one a few times. One of the meanings I got from this story was that this guy spent (wasted?) his entire life as an observer and as a participant. He was chasing mythical creatures and watching parades pass him by...and working..instead of being part of the here and now.

Maybe I'm way off point...wouldn't be the first time.

Anyway, interesting story. Good job!

Adams Avenue said...

I find this post very romantic. He's searching for "her" - not necessarily knowing who she is, but knowing he cannot rest until he finds her. . . constantly searching.

Ultimately he is not able to physically see her or touch her - she lies in his thoughts and she speaks to him through his dreams. . . until he is lying there on his death bed, blessed by the appearance of a unicorn. One that takes him away.

I cannot help but think that I'm missing something though . . . a deeper message?

Nonetheless, great work.

Anonymous said...

Using Fiction to Sell Fiction
For adult children, few situations can be as tricky and emotionally fraught as watching parents age and lose the ability to manage their own affairs, especially when it comes to money.
Hmm - some curious thoughts here. maybe you'll enjoy a visit to my site about weight loss at weight loss

Hermes said...

Steve. I appreciate the comment and in the future, say whatever is on your mind, evern if it's totally off topic. I don't mind.

Bipolar Princess. Nah, I'd probably place last.

Steff. Bike rides in 100 degree weather? Make sure you stay hydrated. They say Gatorade works well.

Piranha. Let me know your thoughts.

Valarene. Believing in destiny makes success seem richer and dulls the pains of hardship. After all, ultimately we have no control right?

Danny. Three snapshots that are exactly the same with just a few nuances.

Snakeheafd. A sine curve? As of late my life has been in a gulley for the past several months. Does this mean good things are headed my way soon?

Rae-Ann. Was it redemption? Or perhaps it was a chemical reaction in the brain that caused the man to hallucinate and "think" he saw what he always searched for?

RockDog. I intentionally set it in medeval times because in those days it was near impossible to advance in life. You were either born into wealth or poverty and you stayed in that situation until the day you die. Nice observation!

Colonialave. It was romantic, yes. The man could never find his true love in life but he never gave up either. He held on tightly to the idea in his mind.

Anonymous. Yeah, really? Fuck off.

MrRyanO said...

Arrrg...my comment should have said that "he spent his life as an observer and NOT as a participant"...Damn you typos! Damn you to hell! Not that it really changed anything major...

Hermes said...

Tacit. Spot on. It was a unicorn. The LAST Unicorn in fact. Sorry, I was listening to Trance when I wrote this... I was feeling cheesy.

Rock-Dog. I got what you meant. No worries mate!

Hermes said...

Vexation. "An entire life spent waiting for a mythical entity that may simply be a figment of the imagination..."

In my case it was the "American Dream."

Jay. Wow, that is a major compliment. I appreciate it.

How well read are you? Cause I suck.

Scribe Called Steff said...

Yes, I've heard of this Gatorade stuff. Curiouser and curiouser.

What's a little sunstroke on a nice day, huh?

WordWhiz said...

Lovely. Sometimes I feel like I'm spinning my wheels, working to get to a point in time where I can live the life I imagine in my mind. I wonder if I'll ever get there.

Adrian said...

Riddle of the Sphinx.

Unknown said...

yeah life isnt a walk in the woods- must be something behind all of it i think


PS. the dragon in the last picture has sexy lips ;)

Rae Ann said...

Sometimes redemption comes in the form of hallucinations. Don't you think?

Hermes said...

Wordwhiz. You're always there in memory. "Times were so much better back then..." Always looking back.

Bushcheney. You liked my blog? Which piece? Let me guess... the heroin addict sitting in his own filth....

Tattooed Brain. I see me in your pain... you see you in MY pain.

Tacit. Forgive me. I hadn't had my daily affirmation yet. "Hermes, remember, you're GOOD enough, and SMART enough, and dog-gone-it people..."

Aydreeyin. Riddle me this Batman!

Ale. Nothing behind life at all. Fuck and die. That's it.

Rae-Ann. Why do you think I love drugs so much? Self-inflicted redemption.... ah yes!

Rae Ann said...

Oh, me too! Oh, yeah. lol

Unknown said...

does Angel think this way too? hehe