Friday, August 05, 2005

Black and White

He sits by himself in his empty, filthy apartment blankly staring at an old black and white photograph of his deceased grandfather. No emotion. Dying. Alone. Rock bottom. He wears an expressionless death mask… a mask of Noh. The windows are open and the blinds are drawn. Rain soaks his shit-brown carpet as the winds incessantly snap the ratted red curtains. The pitter-patter of the rain, the whipping of the curtains, the incessant howl of the wind outside, the faint tympani of ten-thousand cockroach feet, the dry crackling of peeling yellow paint... they're instruments in a mournful orchestra - the soundtrack to his hopeless life.

He’s too lazy to get up and close the window. Or eat. Or jerk off. In fact he’s too un-ambitious to do much of anything except chain-smoke and shoot up. Four cc’s of sweet smack flow up his arm into his heart, up through his brain, and then off to his starving, twitching muscles. The result is a calm, euphoric, relaxed state. Kind of like sitting in a hot tub while getting your dick sucked, back scratched, and feet rubbed. Not a care or a fuck in the world.

The rank stink of the dried shit camping out in his boxers doesn’t bother him much.

Through half-closed eyes he concentrates on the photograph he’s struggling to hold between his thumb and index finger. Although the paper is frayed around the edges, yellowed and brittle from time, the image is unmistakable. A handsome, young man standing before the prow of a battleship. He wears a crisp white naval uniform and an even whiter smile. It's funny, his grandfather looks exactly like he does. That is IF he shaved. Or ate more. Or slept.

The man's mind, prone to distraction, begins to wander. The 50’s… it was a better time then. We knew who the bad guys were. It was a black and white war in a self-contained black and white world. His grandfather’s eyes twinkle with pride and… anticipation? He’s ready to fight the good fight. Kill some kikes or Japs. Maybe fuck a nubile islander somewhere in the South Pacific.

Wait, did he just wink?

The disenchanted son of a bitch asleep in the torn thrift store chair gently stirs… and smiles. He wonders if the image in the photograph will suddenly break into dance or song like Fred fucking Astaire. Or not? He needs something. Answers. Meaning. History. Importance. A miracle. He grasps at shadowy memories. He asks questions. What kind of a man was his grandfather? Who was he really? When this image was captured, in the split second the shutter opened and closed with a whirring click… at the very instant his grandfather’s countenance was forever fixed onto the negative – what was he thinking?

Is there a chance he could have imagined this? For the briefest of seconds and through the foggy expanse of time, could he have seen his grandson sitting in a desolate apartment staring right back? His legacy? His immortality? His failure.

Remember when I'd come and visit you out on Long Island? You were healthy then. You'd sit in your favorite chair on the back patio reading the paper and smoking a cigar... you were always smoking a cigar. I grew to love that smell. It's always summer where we are. I'm catching fireflies and storing them in mason jars. All for you. You're my hero and I'm your little paisan.

I think the last time I cried was the day you died.


Between the rain, wind, and the snapping curtains the man in the chair hears a Pimp shouting at one of his whores out on the street three stories and a million miles below. He's threatening to "slit her belly open and piss on her guts." She begs for mercy. He notices her accent. Puerto Rican maybe?

His thoughts shift to his mother.

31 comments:

Rae Ann said...

wow, that's so raw and real. I love it!

LeeLoreya said...

oh i just lived the best part of my day came out of the movies into the rain with james dean and natalie wood echoing loudly and here i read the first two paragraphs and wish i were that tired aching scruffy man because he's so well portrayed then i try not to misread this time and... i like this post.

Scribe Called Steff said...

Very effective. Nicely edited. Pretty tight.

extraspecialbitter said...

A nice logical progression from your "Perfect" post, looking for answers in crystal ball of genetics and the haze of shadowy memories.

Adams Avenue said...

This piece breaks my heart. I like your theme lately Hermes. Human existance and connection through time and emotion. Painfully honest. You never cease to amaze me.

SierraBella said...

"... the soundtrack to his hopeless life." Love this one.

The ending only makes me want to read more.

Hermes said...

Rae-Ann. Perhaps it's too raw and too real.

LeeLoreya. You WANT to be him? Did you mis-read this one as well? ;p

Steff. Thanks. Much appreciated.

Extraspecial. You're right. It's almost a sequel. Or is it a prequel? hmmmm.

Colonialave. It's all cyclic. Like the tides and the moon... and the stars.

Sierrabella. Was it a cliffhanger? I hope so.

LeeLoreya said...

bloodshot eyes melancholy and tiredness. nothing makes a man more attractive. nothing makes me wish to be a man more. :p

Unknown said...

oh boy- makes me want to take a shower, clean the appartment, do laundry, eat some carrots and go jogging- call grandma&granpa- did i mention take a shower---

and i CAN'T wait to use "slit your belly open and piss on your guts" in a real life situation!!!

((i know this isn't supposed to be funny--- but make a joke out of everything--- and i see so many people like that on the streets of NY that i don't know weather to feel bad for them, or feel bad for myself because i am exposed to seeing them))

MrRyanO said...

Nice post, Hermes. I agree with Rae Ann and think that it is raw...gritty...and real.

It's amazing how life can take you from "...catching fireflies and storing them in mason jars" to being "...too un-ambitious to do much of anything except chain-smoke and shoot up. The path from youthful innocence to adulthood is filled with many pot holes...careful where you step.

I hope there is a part two to this...!

Good job!

Autumn Storm said...

Excellent! Funny enough the gritty bits surprised me every time - very weird and delibrate. In other words, another succesful venture into yet an expression.

The Snakehead said...

Oh my Holy Jesus fucking Christ.

Too much.

Too much to take. Too raw to stomach. Too real to flinch. Too depressing to cry. Too sad to feel sorry. Too heartbreaking to feel the pain.

Hermes, I don't know what else to tell you.

LyZa said...

it took me back in time

Hermes said...

Ale. "Slit open your belly and piss on your guts." That phrase is so Jersey-shore Guido isn't it?

Rock Dog. As always I appreciate your input and wise observations. Thanks. Yeah, you're right, the contrast is stunning. And wherever he may be, do you think the Grandpa is proud?

Jay. I think half the fun about writing these is tracking the wide array of varying reactions to them. Your interpretation is excellent and spot on.

There's definitely more. I need to decide whether I want to share it or not.

Autumn. I'm glad you still enjoyed the piece despite the blatant, in your face rawness. A decent writer can make the act of shoveling shit interesting to his/her reader. I'm aiming for that.

Daniel. We always exist in a state of in between. However, I will tell you that this piece is the beginning of an age of enlightenment, no wait, it's actually the end of years of deliberate self-destruction and wanton decadence.

Tattooed Brain. " Reality is the end. And to a junkie, to a drunk, to an addict... the end is a concept that is too unbearable." Very beautifully put. I couldn't agree with you more. What happens when an altered reality replaces that reality the rest of the world knows... when it becomes homeostatic.

Snakehead. Perfect. What you just said/wrote is perfect... the reaction I had ardently hoped for.

Tacit. Ironically, the moments our lives are normal and "happy" we then in turn miss the pain... and the drama... and the heartache.

Maharet. Is that a good thing? :) Thanks for visiting and taking the time to leave a comment.

the green fairy said...

This is so heartbreaking.


I suddenly feel really lonely.

LeeLoreya said...

the letter in italics keeps changing at every visit.

Autumn Storm said...

You are succeeding in that aim in the opinion of this particular reader.

MrRyanO said...

Hermes - "And wherever he may be, do you think the Grandpa is proud?"

Oddly enough, I think he is. That's what Grandpa's do. If he were here today, he would still see that boy who caught fireflies in a mason jar...and that "little boy" would still be his little paisan. He might make him shower, but in the end he would not judge. He would love and tell the world he is proud of his Grandson.

emeralda said...

His legacy? His immortality? His failure.

period.

it s a sudden brief short moment of a heart being stabbed but the state of mind induced by the shot makes him drift on, there is no place for real regret, wailing, sorrow, pain because it s too clouded, deliberately clouded. the muscles twitch instead of his mind our soul. his body replaces what he refuses to feel.

funny it doesnt make me cry. did I grow over it already? did I grow harder? I ve seen him go down. I ve been at his place quite a few times. I have been with him almost every night in my prayers. And there is no way out of this stinky hole before he resumes responsibility, before he hasn t realized what is heritage, legacy and his own spectrum of capabilities, responsibility. no way out, before he don t realize that he is HIMSELF. no matter what. when he doesn t need the crutch of the past no more. just as a reference for love he once felt...

hmm. hermes you write so beautifully. I can say honestly that I feel you do justice to this sort of matter, subject or whatever. you know what i mean. you do. really do...

Rae Ann said...

just have to echo what piranha said, "hermes you write so beautifully. I can say honestly that I feel you do justice to this sort of matter, subject or whatever. you know what i mean. you do. really do..."

Hermes said...

Green Fairy. We enter this world, and leave it... alone.

LeeLoreya. Yes, one of my thousand edits. I don't think I'm EVER happy with any of my pieces.

Rock Dog. You're right. It's actually the parent's job to turn their backs, disown, and walk the fuck away from their failed progeny.

Piranha. Like Tattooed Brain said, "Reality is the end. And to a junkie, to a drunk, to an addict... the end is a concept that is too unbearable." Sometimes the only acceptable end is death and the whole process of shooting up is a slow, deliberate suicide. As usual, excellent comment. :)

Rae-Ann. Wow, thanks.

Mad Munkey said...

The last time you cried was the day he died? I think you're crying now... just because your cheeks aren't wet with glistening tears doesn't mean they aren't there.

LMB said...

That moved me so much that I masturbated fourteen times just thinking about it and when I went to sleep...well, my dreams were not exactly dry.


Wut? Woops...wrong post.

Valerene said...

i look back at my grandparents' era and wonder why things were so simple then. or rather, i'm amazed at how they manage to simplify things to make life and choices easier. does our generation lack those guts?

sometimes i can't help but wonder what direction life is taking. will we ever figure it out one day?

has life taken control of us? or are we the one's determining our own destiny?

Hermes said...

Mad Munkey. Every Sunday evening and Monday morning I alwo weep hidden tears.

Thanks for swinging by.

Desolation Angel. Nah, you're at the right place. Just put away the spunk rag when you're finished mmm-kay?

Valerene. I can't answer that. I simply let the chips fall where they may.

LMB said...

Thanks for the esoteric post, Hermes. I had a dog.

Once.

(Stares blankly into space.)

Bonkers. His name was Bonkers. When I was young, I enjoyed when my Mother would fling open the back door and yell, "Bonkers! Bonkers! Time to eat! Booonnnnkers!"

Hermes said...

Awww, how sweet.

I once owned a ragdoll cat named "Jean Luc Picard."

No, really.

LMB said...

Heh.




Ew. Wierd.

Kirsi Marcus said...

How do you do it? How do you make us care so deeply about someone in only a couple of paragraphs?

Hermes said...

Hey Kirsi Jane! It's been awhile.

You know, everyone has a story to tell. You just have to dig really deep, and tell it with honesty.

Adrian said...

Made me feel, man. I read it twice.