Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Words of War

Sometimes when I write, and the words struggle to escape (such as right now), I will often feel like a pagan god of old antiquity - so bored and so indifferent, each word I choose: a warrior, resplendent in the shiny helm of metaphor, breastplates and greaves crafted by the mighty hammer of theory, and razor sharp spears forged in the raging fires of the abstract. The vast, white computer screen is one of the great battlefields of lore. These champions wage war with each other, as they fiercely vie for my attentions and affections, to gain my notice and thereby insure their continued existence. Entire armies of brave words that represent a specific topic or idea of mine will clash with other armies that represent a radical reworking of said idea, or a contrasting idea altogether. The lines of words, always in perfect formation, will wage bloody holy war to hold their ground against the equally perfectly formed opposing armies. Sometimes specific warriors will rise up in the ranks and hold special favor in my heart. These words I will reward and guarantee optimal placement in their relative armies. I will usually appoint them as generals or commanders, or sometimes if the mood befits me...kings. Most other words, weak and unsure of their role in the grand scheme of things, mere pawns. Their lives are meaningless and I will often snuff them out of existence on a whim. All of these words, some confident and some weak, all fight for one common goal. Immortality. The winners of the great war will go on to be remembered in the annals of my writings, to be read and reflected upon by others. However, sometimes…when I am in a benevolent mood, I will simply erase all of the words with a swift click of the mouse. For I am a god, I created these words, these…warriors, each holding so much meaning, out of nothingness…out of thin air.

No comments: