Thursday, May 26, 2005

"La Fée Verte"

Dearest Leon,

Here you find me this rainy night on the outskirts of Istanbul. Among the dregs, castoffs, whores, and criminals in the back of a ramshackle, no-name dive bar. Here I sit wrapped in rags sipping absinthe, waiting my turn to draw a breath from the hookah. My eyes half closed muttering nonsense perhaps in a waking dream, or perhaps it's the opium speaking through me, using my body as a vessel, an oracle, to vocalize it’s foreboding secrets. You wouldn't recognize me. My hair has grown to uncivilized lengths and I now wear a beard whereas before my chin was bare and my neck clean. It has been almost six months since I defected from the battalion - a coward, or so labeled by His Majesty the King.

The last place on earth, my friend, you expected to find me was among this unsavory congregation of broken dreamers and cackling strangers stranger than fiction. In this dimly lit cesspool, a final refuge for the broken and pitiful. I sit between the twins, Ignorance and Want, “Les Enfants Terrible,” now fully grown. I’ve been told they prepare to travel. One will head north, to Germany, the other West, toward Italy. They follow the wind of change; heeding the trumpet of Fascism. The light is dim, a pathetic fire-pit and several candles cast more shadows and doubt, create more questions, then produce revelations. There is just enough light to reveal the unsavory events that perpetually transpire in this conclave of the absurd - this circus of nightmares. There is no sound save the feint, raspy coughs of the sick, and hushed moans as somewhere in a nearby room, three lonely souls seek temporary and fleeting bliss.

Your mission this night, my dearest friend, is to rescue me: to bring me home. Heh, home. You may ask what unfortunate series of events brought me to this dismal, shit-hole corner of the world that sits on the outer fringes of humanity and sanity? Well, the answer is obvious, if you don’t know already, as you were an unwilling participant in my fall from grace...

18 comments:

Joe said...

Ahem. That's supposed to be "Her Majesty," not "her Majesty."

Insolent yank.

I've always wanted to say something like that. :)

While we're on Her Majesty, if this story is set pre-war shouldn't it be His Majesty George VI?

Insolent yank again!

Hermes said...

Digitalicat. Yes, you raise TWO most excellent points. I will edit my post, post haste... sir! Pre-World War II, you're right, I'd say roughy late 1920's. Does that sound about right? I slept through Euro History. :)

Tacit. "La Fée Verte" translates to "The Green Fairy." A nickname given to Absinthe which is a pale green in color.

On a personal note, perhaps I am in need of salvation...perhaps not...I don't honestly know. However, I have always been interested in insanity, and the factors leading up to it.

I wouldn't be suprised if I were going insane myself.

Joe said...

If memory serves, Victoria reigned until 1900 and Elizabeth's reign began in 1952, so you're right in the middle of a series of kings. Can't go wrong with His Majesty there.

WordWhiz said...

Hermes: Insanity. I know it well. Sometimes friend, sometimes enemy. This week I'm fighting it. I think perhaps it's easier when we just embrace it.

Hermes said...

Digitalicat. Thanks for having my back homey.

Wordwhiz. I've often thought about embracing mine. You know, check myself in, wear a white smock with my bare ass hanging out in the back, play peaknuckle and eat soup with the assorted weirdo's. It'd be a pleasant little vacation from myself, sanity, and common sense altogether. ;)

Sar. Thanks. You know, I'm trying to steer away from the more controversial subject matter. From merciless beatdowns to drug addled phrophecies...hmmmm.

Steve. Thanks for the confirmation and thanks for the compliment. I've missed ya man!

Adrian said...

Great. I love the use of the old dialect in this. Absinthe, hookas, Istanbul. Like some politer Naked Lunch, maybe?

Can't wait for the rest.

Hermes said...

Sar. A promise is a promise. You WILL receive the 1st copy signed by myself with a spritz of my favorite cologne, Preferred Stock(we mustn't forget this very important detail) It will be hideous and beautiful at the same time, like all of my work...I think? :)

Aydreeyin. Yes, exactly! I didn't think of that comparison but I like it.

I was also inspired by Quartermain from "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" (which is an excellent comic by the way, ignore that shitty movie) **Sar, you should check this one out, I recommend it, if you haven't read it already. When Mia finds him he's barely recognizable, skin and bones, in a filthy opium den.

Joe said...

I've read volumes 1 and 2 of that. It's pretty decent. I'll buy number 3 when it comes out, too.

Adrian said...

Alan Moore is the fucking balls. I remember reading Watchmen in being blown away.

Every copy of the movie of League should be used as kindling for the funeral pyre of whatever ass-spelunking producer that massacred that story for a shitty summer action movie.

Joe said...

Mmm... Watchmen.

Hermes said...

Alan Moore is definitely the fucking BOMB. I thought the "League of Extraordinary Gentleman" was fucking brilliant. The second one wasn't as good, but still a damn fine yarn.

I agree with Aydreeyin. That movie was god-awful. Who's bright idea was it to throw Tom Sawyer into the mix? Oh let's please the Yanks. Fuck, c'mon. How about actually reading the damn book guys?

Watchmen... oh yea.

Anonymous said...

i wish you a merry hotcap
from my side of the tracks.

here comes the chopper to
chop off your head.

one potatato
two potato three
potato four
your baby daughter
doesn't know you anymore.

Scribe Called Steff said...

Anonymous, your crack pipe needs some attention.

Hermes, I was smiling all the way through that post. Grinning, really. I don't know what it is. I think I just enjoyed the voice it was written in.

I'm going to be a better blog person and check back in a little more-- when this heat wave ends on Tuesday. ;) 95 degrees every day this week. BEAUTY.

"La Fee Verte" sounds so gay. Gay with a bad disease.

Absynthe I've never had. I prefer the UK spelling of it. More romanticised.

Kaboom.

Hermes said...

Sar. Everybody wants to make a buck nowadays, and it seems nobody ever reads books. Or at least the people who really SHOULD be reading them aren't, like the jackasses who made this film.

Steff. You don't have any AC at your place? Damn, poor girl.

What, are you calling the French gay? Or maybe the fact my post was entitled the green fairy? Perhaps I should have named my post "La Fée Rosé?" Either way, inentional or not, I had to offset "non-Negotiable." ;)

Hermes said...

Anonymous. Thank you and hello.

You owe me five farthings
Say the bells of St Martins

How about I snatch them from off of your eyes?

jazz said...

i loved the line, "unsavory congregation of broken dreamers and cackling strangers"

i smuggled loads of absinthe home from prague. it didn't do much for me though.

RuKsaK said...

A very intriguing shift in style here - I await the next piece attentively master.

Scribe Called Steff said...

Oh, I don't need air conditioning, hon. Got a corner suite and the river's nearby, there's nearly always a breeze. Maybe a half-dozen days a year are unbearable. It's all good.

Anonymous's poem didn't hit the mark for me yesterday, I must've still been asleep. Boy, I get snarky.

-s.