Thursday, July 28, 2005

Primordial

“There is this recurring dream I’ve had since childhood. I had it again last night.”

“Yes… tell me about this dream of yours… what do you remember?” He’s impeccably dressed in tweed. I remember thinking to myself: “a bearded shrink dressed in tweed? Wow, how utterly fitting and… perfect.”

“Well, I’m standing on a beach….”

“Yes… go on.” He leans forward giving a well-rehearsed pensive look as he casually and half-heartedly pushes his glasses higher on his hooked nose.

“I’m standing on a beach all alone. The sky is red and the sand is black. Littered all about are dead horseshoe crabs. They lie on their backs with their stiff, spiny legs forever pointed skyward. There are hundreds…”

“Uh-huh… what else do you remember?” He’s writing something in his legal pad. I wish I knew what he was writing. I wish I knew what was wrong with me.

“The stench... is unendurable. It reeks of decay, sulfur, and salt. I hear the waves crashing upon the rocky shoals. They’re easily around 30 feet high.”

“Interesting…. What color is the water? Do you remember this?”

“Yes, the water is black; black as obsidian. The sky is blood red and the sea is black.”

“mmmm…” More scribbling.

“I gaze out toward the horizon… out toward the wide expanse of the ocean. It’s so large and limitless. I feel vertigo except the feeling is not caused by standing at a great vertical height, but by standing on a horizontal axis that stretches on and on forever and ever. It’s a reverse vertigo. Would that be called horzigo?”

“Heh, Heh, clever. Why I don’t know. I’ve never … ”

“So beyond the waves… out in the black churning waters of this strange, unnamed ocean I hear the most horrible sounds - like the echoing songs of whales but corrupted. It’s so dark, words cannot describe the horror I feel upon hearing this sound… so primitive. It’s the ear-rupturing wail of the nameless ones. Prehistoric leviathans that patrolled the savage oceans when the Earth was young… before the age of mammals… before the age of man, which is but a mere drop in the elusive eternity of existence. Long ago, before recorded time, these beasts ruled the seas, as their scaly brethren ruled the lands. I cannot see them but I know they’re out there… hundreds of them. Some closer to my vantage point than others but they are all out there waiting…. “

“O.K Hermes I need you to slow down…. What are they waiting for?” He’s interested now... or worried. He uneasily shifts in his very expensive chair. The only sound in the room is the creaking of the rich leather… and the far-off honking of some very impatient, very pissed off cabbie somewhere.

“Me. They wait for me to wade out into the tumultuous waves. They possess teeth the size of my open hand… eyes the size of your dictionary sitting on your desk over there. The smallest of them is 100 feet in length. I cannot see them as the water is too dark but I see their silhouettes. I see their serpentine necks as they unnaturally circle. I undoubtedly sense them. I can also sense the killers.”

“The… killers?” He nervously clicks the end of his ballpoint three times. Why only three times? Why not four or two? Is this some sort of code? Will a group of large men dressed in white scrubs suddenly burst out from the back room, syringes in hand?

“I see their dorsal fins. They’re sharks, sir.”

“Sharks?”

“ Prehistoric sharks easily 300 feet in length. Not Megaladons either, these creatures remain undocumented and un-cataloged. Or perhaps they never existed… the terrible stuff of nightmare. MY nightmares. The killers feast upon the nameless ones. Or they simply murder. They kill with glee and the sky is filled with the screeching cries of the nameless ones. These screams can be heard in heaven where the angels debate and bicker amongst themselves. The Killers will leave the gargantuan carcasses afloat whilst their offspring come out of hiding like grotesque schools to feast, always cautious for the nameless ones hunt the younglings who in turn feast on their deceased brethren. Perhaps this is why the ocean runs reddish-black, I don’t know. The killers… they too wait. They forever circle… with cold eyes forever fixed forward toward the dry land while an army of parasitic worms attach themselves to their sandpapery skin and drink their thick blood…”

Silence.

“And then? What happens next Hermes?”

I turn away and gaze out the window. I see the park across the street where some children play. Such a beautiful scene. It’s so peaceful. One particular boy catches my attention - a beautiful little boy with black hair, brown eyes, and olive skin. He’s sitting by himself in the sand next to the merry-go-round, his knees raised to his chest and tears streaming down his face from a scraped arm. He’s by himself dealing with the pain and the confusion and the abject horror caused by the sight of blood. Where the fuck is his mother or father? Why is he just sitting there by himself?

“ *Ahem*, Hermes?”

“ ... Yeah, what happens next? Well... nothing... yet. I will walk out into the black ocean. It’s time to face my demons. Night has fallen and the water gently stirs...

...and I am still completely alone.”

39 comments:

Rae Ann said...

“I gaze out toward the horizon… out toward the wide expanse of the ocean. It’s so large and limitless. I feel vertigo except the feeling is not caused by standing at a great vertical height, but by standing on a horizontal axis that stretches on and on forever and ever. It’s a reverse vertigo. Would that be called horzigo?”

Clever indeed! I know that feeling. And I'm terrified of sharks.

What a lovely, dark and perfect tale.

Hermes said...

Rae-Ann. Isolation is difficult. I ask you: are our blogs... and the anonymous strangers we discourse with... our liferafts?

Rae Ann said...

yes, I do think so. you're on to something here. and I've noticed how many of us bloggers seem to find kindred souls as though we are all drifting along on the same sea.

Autumn Storm said...

Love this - more the crafted sentences than the story. I'm swirling in your words.

Adams Avenue said...

Whoa. This is so dark and decadant. I have so much to ask you and say and think.

The break. The scene with the little boy. It truly adds dramatic affect.

Its so great. I have lots more to say. . . I think I need to read it again.

SierraBella said...

Don't let Hollywood get a hold of your story-
They'd have the shrink give another three clicks on that pen, and turn into a giant shark and swallow poor Hermes.

MrRyanO said...

Awesome! I was thoroughly entranced reading this one. The anticipation of the unknown is very captivating...

Maybe I've read too much Stephen King and seen too many Tim Burton movies, but I thought for sure that when you're looking at the boy in the sandbox that a Sand Shark was going to surface and take him below without anyone noticing.

Another hit, Hermes! Great job!

Adrian said...

The character's thoughts is what's ground this story for me. Also enjoying the use of details, like the dictionary. You're lending credibility to your horror. Cool.

Hermes said...

Rae-Ann. We've arrived at a cool post for your blog. What do you think... wanna write about it?

Autumn Storm. Hey thanks. You'll find the center of the tidal is very calm and so... tranquil.

Colonialave. Ask and think away. I'm still figuring out what it all means myself.

Sierrabella. Too late. I already e-mailed a rough draft to Lucas, Spielberg, and Tarantino.

Rock-Dog. The boy in the sandbox was certainly drowning, but not in any danger of getting eaten by a land shark or one of those worms from Dune.

The boy is STILL drowning.

Aydreeyin. Cool, thanks. I'm glad you liked it... although I intended it to be more of a circular psychological study of the the boy who later became that man. The monsters and the sea are metaphors representing life. Surfacing his abject fear of merely existing... of course all of this stemmed from childhood.

Jay. Does that mean it was boring or do you suffer from narcilepsy? ;)

Joe said...

This reminded me of Asimov's Robot Dreams. I kept expecting Dr. Calvin to shoot you with her electron gun. "...and then Hermes was no more."

Rae Ann said...

Yeah, I do. I'm a-puttin' on my thinkin' cap... (might need a little smoke and mirrors)

Unknown said...

Digicat! that's exactly what it made me think of (Asimov's book), different colors of the sky and sea... and isolation. Hermes have you read that book?

very beautiful- but i dont think you're alone, we all have our sharks to swim with, its been like that since the begining of time-- even the shrink has them (and he was on the edge of his seat!)

i do have to reccomend not eating heavy foods such as rare stakes before going to sleep :) hehe

Hermes said...

Digitalicat. You know I haven't read that... but I think I might be swinging by the library when I get off to check it out.

Rae-Ann. I look forward to reading that!

Ale. Hey, thanks for swinging by my place.

Rare steaks? I'll remember that. My advice to YOU is hold off on that spicy Tandoori chicken before bed... that is unless you LIKE apocalyptic visions of late Cretaceous-era sharks and pleiosaurs....

By the way, my bowels were kickin' like Chuck Norris.

shana p. said...

It's that last line that gets me.... because when it comes time to face demons, you might have some unseen help but you are always essentially alone. Loved it!

The Snakehead said...

I thought of saying I understand, but that would just cheapen this exquisite piece of writing.

I've never had recurring dreams. Not as a child; not as an adult. Yet somehow, yours hit horrifyingly close to home.

Then I read your first few comments.

Life rafts.... are we?

Perhaps.

Or perhaps we are just little boys and little girls with scraped arm, sitting there crying and dealing with the pain all by ourselves...

... waiting for someone to come by and ask us, "are you alright?"

Adams Avenue said...

I'd have to agree. I love the idea that blogs are our own "life rafts."

I personally like to think that I'm saving myself, but I need the current to take me along. . . and that is everyone who comes by and reads my entries. They're my motivation to keep writing.

And as for the imagery. I'm always taken to another world when I read your posts Herm. However I have decided that my favorite character is the shrink. He's so classic frantic America quickly trying to provide an answer and cure to decipher the ailment that raids your mind. . . when outside there is a crying little boy, looking for someone to help him heal his wound . . .Its such an easy fix. All he needs is love and a band-aid. . . . He needs someone to aid him . . .he's physically bleeding with no one else around and you're sitting in an office with a shrink in a perfect tweed suit talking about a reoccuring dream . . .

Damn I love this.

LyZa said...

Dreams can be such a bother when you think about it. Great idea though. Sharks are gonna be ur so-called friends who will eat you alive. *smirks and sighs

Hermes said...

Jay. I know you were joking. I'm just ball-breaking mate. Hey, what else does alcohol make you do by the way?

T. I'm glad you came by and read it. I think the ocean and the beasts that dwell in it are the same beasts that lurk in all of our subconsciousness.

Cheesecakey. We die alone. We dive headlong into oblivion alone. What better way to face the killers? Thanks for the kind words I appreciate that,

Snakehead. I know I don't ask you this as much as I should but... are you all right? I'm listening. :)

Colonialave. You're onto something. I see the comments as the winds that fill the white sails we weave with our words. The kind winds that allow us to travail the horrors of the deep ocean.

I'd even dare say some comments are the stars that guide us at night.

Damned Queen. Dreams are either meaningless nonsense and rubbish or incredibly profound mysteries that mustn't be ignored. I'm trying to figure out which one they are.

Hermes said...

TB. What can I say? You've been with me since the very beginning of this experiment. You've overseen highs and lows, peaks and valleys. You've been right there along-side me in the boat as we took turns navigating while the other slept.

You're absolutely right. Away from the raging obsidian sea is the Necropolis and the fields of red sand lie yet even farther beyond the dead city on the other coast thousands of miles away.

I hope you continue this journey with me my friend.

Starling said...

That was one of the most beautiful, (yet perfectly dark), stories I've had the pleasure to read on a blog, absolutely haunting.

..I've never had recurring dreams, but I have had a recurring-themed nightmare. They are definitly windows into ourselves.. I love how the man remembers each little detail as if he, himself, knows the significance they must hold, even though he seeks the counsel of the shrink. And it's almost like he Wants to scare the other man a bit..Maybe thus making the dream a reality by giving it a life outside of his inner self.

You gave me so much to think about. I love that. :)

Adams Avenue said...

Stars that guide us. . . .I like that.

Rae Ann said...

hermes, I've run with the baton now. It's not much, but I hope you enjoy it anyway. I kind of skipped over the aloneness issue. You're never alone on the Sea of the Fourth Dimension...

Hermes said...

Iridescent. Hey, thanks for the gracious words and taking the time to visit my blog and leave them.

My interpretation is that the character is throwing out lines. Hoping someone will bite. Searching for someone to accompany him. Obviously the shrink didn't fit the bill. Although he was "learned" he didn't have the feintest idea or clue what was going on in the characters mind.

It was an exercise in utter futility.

Rae-Ann. Cool. I'll check it out shortly.

Sar. Hit him? Or would you slap him like Zsa Zsa Gabor slapped that bailiff? :p

Anonymous said...

Loved your blog and thought you might like ours: Seven Deadly Cynics. Let us know what you think.

Anonymous said...

That entry was just beautiful. *hug*

Hermes said...

Sar. Any ivy-league school or institute of higher learning... in Boston maybe, sitting in a stool at Cheers?

Vexation. Sir: a term of respect. It's out of place because the quack shrink doesn't really deserve it.

I love the image you just painted. Young sharks competing with Barracuda and the like... young sharks still humble and subservient although one day they will dominate the chain.

No, not symbiotic, definitely parasitic. The giants sustain the meek. They gain nothing, the worms gain everything... including life.

The last line, the gently stirring water... inspired by "The Kraken" by Tennyson.

" Below the thunders of the upper deep; Far far beneath in the abysmal sea, His ancient, dreamless, uninvaded sleep."

Anonymous. I'll check it out... sounds like my cup of tea.

Stranger. Thanks.

LMB said...

How much did that croaker shrink charge by the hour, anyway?

Hermes said...

Angel. Too much.

I don't even want to know what he billed my insurance.

Adams Avenue said...

So random comment:

I was reading this while listening to Marylin Manson "beautiful people." In one word. Whoa.

You should try it ;)

It gave me a TOTALLY new spin on the post. Crazy.

Scribe Called Steff said...

I engage in far too much isolation in my old age. I've weeded out too many flakes and I keep to myself, contrasting with the years when I knew far too many people and was never, ever home. Blogging makes it too easy to pretend you have a tether to society. It's a lie, but it works nicely.

And this piece is definitely one of your most evocative yet. I really like this one. A lot. TB's right. And I've been reading since your second posting.

I'd love to head back to a shrink. I've only been about a dozen times over the years, but it was a fascinating process. If you intellectualise it, it's a remarkable experience.

It's amazing how they can contort what you say and give you a whole new perspective on it.

Too bad they're so damned expensive.

Hermes said...

Colonialave. You're right, music changes the experience completely. It can darken it, or intensify it. A lot of what I write is inspired by music; by a particular song.

Steff. Yes, you've been here too.

You know I've reached a point in my life where I'd actually PREFER isolation over the company of artificial, fake friends. My thoughts and my very close circle are definitely plenty for me... or I try to surround myself with interesting, brilliant people because I know I can learn a thing or two from them... rather than merely beautiful people as I used to.

Cassiopeia. I'm glad my writing has inspired you. I hope your writing will inspire me one day.

Danny. Hey stranger. Indeed they do. Bottled up and shaken, these thoughts lately have been bursting from my brain.

Speaking of thoughts I need my fix of yours. What's going on?

Tacit. Oh you're right, good point. They are a light brown or a tan, almost a sandy color. A stunning contrast o the red sand and the black water.

Scribe Called Steff said...

Yeah, I had too many people around that didn't matter. Fortunately/unfortunately, I've gone through harsh shit in the last six years. Not many flakes hang around through it. Nice. :)

And yeah, I've got about four or five good friends, and that's all I need. ANYTHING happens where I need someone? They'd definitely answer the bell. That's all one needs.

Especially a writer. ;)

Bucko said...

Hermes-

This is brilliant, hallucinagenic. I smell the sea and decay and long to be taken by the sharks.

You, sir, paint haunting images with your keyboard. I am mightily impressed, but am always pleased with Desolate Angel's links.

I raise my absinthe to you-

WordWhiz said...

Great post...and your comment to Rae Ann about blogging serving as a life line...very thought provoking indeed.

Hermes said...

Bucko and Ronnie. Wow, an honor. Thanks for the kind words and deciding to include my blog in your list. It appears as though I am in excellent company.

Gabriel. When I was in high school I took AP psych. One of our ongoing projects was to, in fact, keep a dream journal. It accomplished it's goal. I could remember my dreams much more vividly simply by drawing and writing what I'd see in my dreams on a day-to-day basis. I've thought about starting one again.

As for shrinks, I'm sure you won't be one of those stodgy, old school shrinks who think they're Sigmund Freud... will you?

Wordwhiz. Thought provoking indeed. Rae-Ann wrote a post about it... you should check it out, pretty interesting. :)

ML said...

Past and future, nice words mate,

LeeLoreya said...

well.i could wait a bit to get the 50th comment ...

so specific and detailled..
such fruitless magnitude...

hum. shall i reread it perhaps and pull me self together and make coherent sentences ...

LeeLoreya said...

o i did get the 50th comment...

emeralda said...

hm. what snake head said above...that maybe we all sit there and deal with all the pain by ourselves, just waiting for someone to come by and ask ´are you allright?´....
It s this exact question or moment which makes it even harder to hold tears back. i ve often experienced that i could deal with pain okay until someone would come and compassaionately ask me whether i am allright. the pain just overwhelmed me then....

and it s this utter feeling of loneliness that is closest to what i means to be a human being. if everything is one why can t i love another person? why do i associate one single individual with this love? isn t especially love all one!"?? nope, you are human too, piranha, and you gotta deal with individuality too. that is, loneliness that can only be healed by another loneliness.

p