Thursday, November 03, 2005

Shadows

No sound except the soft clink of a Zippo as I light my last Lucky Strike. The steam rises off the lake in the early morning half-light tranquility fall brings along with yellow leaves and layers of chilling frost known to kill crickets, crack heads, and frogs. What’s it been now… one year exactly without you? When soldiers return home from war missing an arm or a leg, they sometimes still feel the phantom limb moving, speaking, and breathing. Perhaps it’s denial. A subconscious refusal to admit it’s gone. A refusal to admit they’re half-there, half-empty, and half-lost with clipped wings, bound feet, and the tedious task of re-learning how to breathe. A sort of un-death, muffled acceptance one finds after surviving a gunfight, car crash, or bitch slap. An inability to ignore the crumpled, concerned brows and helping hands offered by compassionate family and friends as you struggle to pull yourself up. Wipe my ass. Tuck me in. Kill me please and put me out of my misery. Another tug from an old flask my cousin gave me back when we were young and sang foolish songs about heartbreak and love. It’s this forlorn, excruciating pain limbless soldiers feel that course through my veins and valves into my rotten heart as I sit by the lake outside town. Desolation. Except for perhaps the nameless corpses sleeping below that are never coming home.

9 comments:

LMB said...

That was really touching...hmm, wait...oh, yeah...Lucky Strikes, mmmm...

extraspecialbitter said...

The anger and grief of a break-up are eventually replaced by numbness. And numbness can bare a striking resemblance to drunkenness, which is far more socially acceptable. Pass the flask, carnal.

Adams Avenue said...

Need a hug, hun?

How about a Reese's peanut butter cup?

I've always noticed in a breakup, the two invovled go down together while they're apart.

She's going through the same thing. Keep your chin up.

Hermes said...

Desolation Angel. Nothing like smokin' a fag, and taking a drag from the flask, on a desolate morning.

Vex. Never. Keep 'em coming, and keep 'em coming fast.

Extraspecial. Not only socially acceptable but in certain cases comical and entertaining. You can call me Mr. Bojangles and I'll dance for you.

Colonialave. " She's going through the same thing."

You mean "he." This is about a dog I lost.

Adams Avenue said...

Ha ha! *Ahem* I knew that. :)

Thanks for pointing that out, Herm. And making me feel three inches tall.

Now it all makes sense.

God forbid you mourn over the loss of a woman.

Hermes said...

I'm too macho for that. ;)

Trena said...

Even though "she" turns out to be a "he" (and a DOG at that), I agree with C.

Man's best friend can mourn and wag around in desolation.

Come on, H...give a dog a bone!

MrRyanO said...

Oddly familiar ;) Good job, Hermes!

"of chilling frost known to kill crickets, crack heads, and frogs" Damn, these crack heads are every where...even at a nice quiet lake. This is a perfect example of why your writing feels so TRUE. A lot of the time a writer will trap us in this fairy tale land...escape is nice sometimes...but its the raw gritty flavor fo your writing that brings me back time and time again.

Valerene said...

it's really about your dog? i talk to my dogs, and when some of them died, i cried too, but i didn't grieve a year after.

hermes, you sure it wasn't a woman?