Monday, November 14, 2005

Kid.

Hey T____. Doubt you'll get this letter, but who knows? Just wanted to tell you something... I wanted to explain a few things I never really had the chance to explain. Hey, I cared about you, and I still do. In fact, I keep tabs on you, the occasional Google search or two, to see what you're up to. You were the little brother I never had. In you I saw myself, but a hard luck version. Oliver Twist except you weren't an orphan. A good kid with dreams and aspirations, who was unfortunately limited by money and circumstance. It was just you and your mom, and she didn't make much. Your dad was a distant memory, a stranger, who sent the occasional check every now and then. Of course there were your sisters, but they didn't come around that often. They had their own lives... their own shit... to contend with. They did what they could but in it was difficult for them to really be there for you, especially monetarily, if you know what I mean. But you and I clicked right from the get-go. It was scary how much like me you were. Awkwardly shy, attractive but at the same time almost geeky, so much POTENTIAL to become the very best at anything you chose. And I wanted to take you under my wing and be the big brother I myself never had, but had always wanted. I wanted to see you succeed, and make us all proud.

I remember even after your sis and I broke up, you and I still stayed in touch. We went to the movies and walked around downtown late bullshitting about this or that. You'd tell me about your life, crushes, dreams, and passions and I'd encourage you to pursue them all. You'd often tell me how much you'd one day love to play professional ball, but feared you were too small, even to play point. Perfectly in stride, playing the parent or mentor role, I told you the usual “you can do anything you want.” I gave you the anecdotal lip service everyone gives: “You know kid, there's an old Chinese proverb... if you do the things you love you won't work a day in your life.” It's funny how we readily dispense advice which we ourselves are unable to follow.

Then there was the time your sister and I got back together again to give it another try. Unfortunately things didn't work out between us, I guess it wasn't meant to be. I disappeared. Yes, that was fucked up but I didn't think it was my place, it wasn't the right thing, to stick around and maintain our friendship. I'm sure you didn't like me, hell I'm sure you fucking hated me, and you may probably still, as you probably felt as though I “fucked over” your sister yet again. You probably felt as though I used you, and our friendship, to weasel my way back into her life... this isn't true. Our friendship was completely separate from all of that. We were “us.” You were my friend, not my ex-girlfriends little brother.

Anyhow, I hope things are well for you kid. If you're feeling blue remember this: “Everyone feels down, there's no avoiding it, but you have to know that you are still luckier than most of the world's people. You have to learn to see the best in everything, although it sounds difficult, it is possible. You might as well have fun while you're alive, cause you won't get another chance. I'm not trying to dictate to anyone, I'm just telling you what I've come to feel and realize constantly.”

Just something I read somewhere along the way.

13 comments:

RuKsaK said...

Good stuff as always. I know this is going to sound flippant and glib, but you are what I'd call a good American writer. That is meant as a compliment, because in the UK we've gone stale and have been since the 60s at best. American literature took the English language and the psyche of it to new heights and now holds the crown. I truly believe that and this is why I feel just calling you a 'good American writer.'

Adams Avenue said...

It's funny how we readily dispense advice which we ourselves are unable to follow.

I know this all too well.

And though your friendship with T____ may be lost, the memories you shared can never be erased.

LMB said...

Hmmm. Why don't you contact him...straightforward and see what's up? The worste he can say is to stop bugging him. Then again he may miss you, too.

-G.D. said...

I like delivering letters through my blog as well...make sure they never get em'

Trena said...

Here's to You, Kid.

To absent friends, lost loves, old
gods and the seasons of mists;

And may every one of us give the
devil his due.

Neil Gamon, Seasons of Mists

jeckles said...

Hermes, this post show the best of what you do. You write a hint a clue a peek in to a life a moment a feeling.

In doing so you show us all that is unwritten also.

Fucking good.

Hermes said...

Ruksak. If what you mean is my writing is reminiscent of the Beats then I take that as a huge compliment. I've been reading a lot of that lately and I think it shows in my work. Ironically, I've always held the English writers in the highest regard. Particularly the English Romantics and of course, Shakespeare. So YOU my friend, have this shit in YOUR blood.

Colonialave. True. We had some good times. And I know I turned him on to Star Wars. ;)

Desolation Angel. Maybe he already read this, who knows? Good advice though. What's the worst that could happen?

G.D. You write wonderful letters. I think deep down we really want them to somehow get them.

Ma Dukes. I don't know if I've given him his dues, I DO know he's taken 'em. Neil Gaiman takes me to a happy place.

Jeckles. That's the task writers face right... to tell the story in as few words as possible?

Over the past few months I've learned, from reading another blog you and I both know and love, that less is more and more is always less.

Thanks

LyZa said...

That hurts. that kind of ending is really irritating when you don't know what's really the real score between old friends.

RuKsaK said...

So Jeckles, and Hermes - don't keep the secret, which is the blog? I'm always on the lookout for something new.

Trena said...

Yes, he's taken his dues ... will continue to take them.

With this piece and all your other pieces, you continue to give it write back to him.

Else, what's a stray dog like me to do?

I may be lying in the gutter but I'm looking at the stars.
Oscar Wilde

Sealegs said...

awesome. a true friend...

LH said...

I think we all have those in our lives we'd like to send a letter out with our true expressions. Maybe it's too much...too little...too late. Maybe it's exactly what they needed as well. Who knows. Either way, there's certainly a peace we feel within when we strip ourselves down to the raw core of our beings and pour out the truth we feel inside.

Superb letter. My recent letters have not been so heartfelt. Damn me.

emeralda said...

oh yeah hermes, been there, done that.
little friends are a wonderful thing and one day they will understand. i know that, i have to know that.

no matter how big the disappointment, how big the anger over the break up between you and him in the end too, the time you spent is not wasted. words and feelings and deeds sink into the soul and grow there, slowly but surely.
the good and the bad...
he will never regret and always look back with a smile on his face....and be it a bitter smile.....when we eat junk food the body takes out of it what it can use and transform...so does the soul i believe. so does the soul
....