Sunday, September 18, 2005

And the feeling's right

He dances alone up on the stage ignoring all. Absorbed in the beat, he crazily waves his glow-sticks to the music like a maestro conducting a philharmonic.. to fucking Cher. Rivulets of sweat bleed down his face. He's short, toned, and from what I can tell, Asian. He's dressed in a policeman's uniform: striped pants, riding boots, mirrored aviator sunglasses, an authentic looking badge, and even a knight stick dangling by his side. I expect to see a biker, an Indian, and a construction worker at any moment. However, tonight isn't Halloween. It's a hot evening in the middle of September. This isn't a costume party or a masquerade ball. It's any Friday night at the club I bounce at.

What's on the menu? Usually an unrelenting barrage of repetitive house and trance music. Tanned, shirtless, roided out fags with perfect hair and perfect complexions aimlessly wandering about the club rolling their balls off, bottled water in hand. Drag queens and transsexuals with sexier legs than any woman you'll ever find. Blowjobs, rimjobs, and cocaine nose-jobs in every bathroom stall.

All of the freaks come out on Friday night.

They're harmless. Aside from catty fits of drunken name calling, finger pointing, and drink throwing, they never fight. Ever. Friday is the only night we can really relax. Instead of testosterone the air is filled with plur, celebration, and estrogen. A lot of the bouncers will drink or smoke weed. Why? Because we can. Because we don't have to be at 100 percent. We don't have to be perfectly in tune to the crowd, ears and eyes pricked to detect shit talk or a thrown punch. Being out of our heads, out of our consciousness, helps to pass the time as we're stationed at the different doors or left alone on our carpeted boxes surveying the odd display of excess taking place on the dance-floor before us. Everyone always seems to be in a more relaxed mood on Friday night.

It counterbalances the extreme homophobia a lot of the dumb-as-shit bouncers invariably wear on their sleeves.

A lot of beautiful women come in on Friday night. It's a great night for an enterprising bouncer or a resourceful bartender to hook up... believe it or not. You see, these pretty girls feel safe around all of the non-threatening gay men. They feel bolder. They become hornier. As the night progresses they get drunker. They all think they'll be “the one” who will convince their fag friend (every pretty girl has one, it's like a purse – an accessory) to bat for the other team. Light flirting and harmless innuendo turns into brazen, desperate begging and pleading. They realize their wily charms are having absolutely zero effect on the obviously homosexual men all around them so they turn their attention to the hetero bouncing staff. I've taken many girls home after my shift on Friday night. The key is to flirt with their protective gay friend who brought them. To build a level of trust. To slip their party a round of free shots.

We call these girls "fag hags." Ironically, so do the fags themselves.

14 comments:

Autumn Storm said...

Nice!

-jkg said...

yeah i used to go and play and dance at fag clubs all the time [still do when i have the time]. my girlfriend is the biggest hag i know [next to me].

and you are spot on, hooking up with a girl at a gay club is infinitely easier than at a straight club. come last call the girls are all wound up from being felt on by fags all night and are.. shall we say, much easier, by the time a straight guy shows his wares.

wow, you have a very similar life to mine. or at least it would seem that way sometimes.

Adams Avenue said...

I also love going out with my "Gay Boys." We have a great time, but I don't go home with any stray men. They are pretty protective of me.

I have friends who are official "fag hag's" but I haven't joined the club yet so I'm referred to as a "fa ha" (I still need to earn my g's). For now I'm known as princess.

I'm sure you're one to not only impress the ladies, but have a few gay boys of your own lined up at the end of the night, huh Herm? ;) Naughty.

Rae Ann said...

I've always wanted a gay male friend, but I don't get out much and haven't met any. Guess that makes me a wannabe.

RuKsaK said...

Ah - the nostalgia from both sides to some similar extent. And, forgive me, but what is 'plur'?

Mad Munkey said...

There is no better place to pick up a woman than a gay bar... lol - So easy.

Unknown said...

you better secretly be publishing your stories somwhere- if you're not- I'm soooo annoyed with you!!!!
;)

here's a story: in highschool we one of our guy friends never had girlfriends and dressed really well... once we all went out for his b-day- got drunk and he started going around kissing all the girls (his friends) and when it was my turn i of course slip him the tounge- (cus he's hot) and it was the WEIRDEST EVER! like kissing a wall !@#!!

anyway-- years later he finally comes out and tells me he was gay- so it finally made sense! (there's NO WAY to swing a gay guy back over)

but true- only gay guys know how to seem so genuinely jelous- and thats the highest complement that other women will never give you

Hermes said...

Danny. A metro bouncer... who's adept at reading the field markings and whom knows the territory well.

Jay. Like humor, some things are universal. Like the gay club scene.

Autumn. Thanks.

Jkg. And like you a lot of these events transpired in the past... or did they?

Colonialave. Maybe one day you'll win your gg's. It will be a proud moment... like when a man first earns his red wings.

Rae-Ann. Wanna-be Shwanna-be.

Ruksak. Glad you asked. Peace Love Unity and Respect. A lame raver term.

Mad munkey. too easy at times. But then again, I'm pretty lazy.

Tacit. What was your response?

Ale. Excellent story. It appears your "Gay-dar" is accurate.

Oh, and only gay men can be genuinely fabulous.

Adrian said...

Shit. There was one time I did feel faaaabulousssss. I guess I didn't.

Oh, wait. That was my friend's transvestite cigarette girl "partner". My bad.

I liked the tourguidey-feel of this. Like a documentary on HBO or something.

Hermes said...

Aydreeyin. Or one of those nature shows... and I'm Jacques Cousteau.

Vexation. Ah, I think we all have those coming of age, eye-opening gay bar experiences.

I'm glad yours had a happy ending.

Puzzy. Because I'm just never satisfied.

LMB said...

If one Fag Hag liked another Fag Hag, would they be concidered a Hag Hag?

Valerene said...

if this is part of your past, it means that you used to work in a bar?

well, still trying to figure out what kind of background you have since you are so mysterious :P you are very observant...and this is stating the obvious.

i miss seeing homosexuals making out ;)

Deb said...

I know all too well about the gay club scene. I'm a lesbian, and I see what goes on. You described it exactly how it is.

For me, it's sort of a different story. Burly women in flannels and workboots, a chain wallets hanging down from their ripped jeans and their lovely mullet hair styles. Some dress in a black leather vest, with no shirt underneath, so they can show off whatever jail tattoo they have.

I salute the gay men for taking pride in their appearance. I bow to the drag queens who are absolutely stunning! (There are a few who need tweekin' though)

Interesting post, and oddly familiar atmosphere.

Great writing!

Hermes said...

Desolation. They'd be called lipstick lesbians.

Valerene. Maybe. Or maybe it's the present... or quite possibly the future, who knows?

Deb. It's always puzzled me how gay men are so flamboyantly stylish and bull dykes are so... well, boorish. It's a stunning contrast.

tjg. Free fashion advice and daily affirmations minus the catty drama right?