Tuesday, November 18, 2008

necrocalypse

Look at the stars; they no longer shine for you. They no longer twinkle instead replaced by the dead stillness one would find in the blank eyes of a rotting dog left on the roadside. And in a way the stars have taken on a new beauty - a wondrous new shape which twists and contort in a convoluted dance for all eternity. The stars have changed or rather, perhaps I am the one who has drastically changed and it is my eyes, not the stars, which have taken on the wordless aspect of a dead animal. My eyes became reptilian slits a long time ago, cold and unblinking, which mistrustfully stare out at a desolate world.

It is strange to be completely alone once again and not to have the company of a spoon or bottle. I stay clean and sober because I must, although if I needed to lose myself in the madness it would be now. Time grinds her heavy thighs across a barren wasteland, every day is a blur punctuated by cigarette breaks, jerking off, and sleep. I am alone because I must be. This is my glorious clean slate for which I hope to re-create the Sistine chapel. However, I never understood how cities can be built upon cities upon cities. I’ve always been under the impression you must utterly destroy what previously existed before you can rebuild as I have so often destroyed everything I ever came to love. And the city I strain to re-make pales in comparison to the city which stood before which in turn paled in comparison to the city which stood in its place before that.

6 comments:

LMB said...

Jeesh! It's always sunshine and lollipops with you, ain't it!?
Well, start plannin that trip south of the border, sad sack - I know of a little joint in a little alley way that will wash all them blues away. Temporarily, of course - then it's back to the pulling of hair and gnashing of teeth routine.
Maybe you should just request a fleshlight for X-mas...

Anonymous said...

I don't say this often.

This is so fucking good, that I wish I had written it.

the green fairy said...

"And the city I strain to re-make pales in comparison to the city which stood before which in turn paled in comparison to the city which stood in its place before that."

this line is pure layer cake. sweet, bitter, and with so many different images of life and death attached to it.

this piece is endless and beautiful. well done.

Unknown said...

The thing about being clean and sober? - It's that you actually get to take in the city you've built - look around and see all the detail and remember - it's in the remembered details and the desire to remember details that we find our salvation. And that happiness thing? - "Human beings are happiest when they are active and creative; when they feel they are making a contribution to the world."

Writing like this - like you have done - your contribution.

Hermes said...

Luis - My horongo is already packed buddy.

Veronica - that is a big compliment especially coming from you. Thankyou.

Green Fairy - I wish it was endless, but I'm afraid it will one day end. It's a race I cannot hope to possibly win in the end.

Lceel - the cities of my past perhaps never even existed, or were not nearly as majestic as I like to think they were... each brick, each stone, has been carefully laid and painstakingly mortared by fading, failing memory.

Thanks for visiting.

Anonymous said...

My Word verification here is "hornies." Yeah... that's about right.

Hermes, you have no idea how much I love this post. I've printed it out, and I'm carrying it with me.

'Hope you don't mind I linked it in my mailer too.

I know, as a friend, I want to say I'm sorry you're going through this.

But as a fellow writer, all I can even THINK is:

Mother of God, this good.
This is
Really
Fucking
GOOD.