Monday, November 10, 2008

malignancy

Sadistic depression settles down uninvited into my softest plush chair and refuses to leave. He sits there and hovers like a dank fog resting over pitch black water. Hushed whispers feeding into my ears like insidious, parasitic larvae which twist and wrap itself around my lower brainstem up through my medulla oblongata - a nightmarish creature out of a sci-fi film which leaves me, the host, “receptive to persuasion.” He refuses to leave despite my pathetic pleading and piteous threats.

The shaman urges me to down a vial of snake juice, a caustic combination of ipecac and peyote, urging me to drink so I may kill the demon which resides inside me. She waves her rat-bone rattler above my abdomen and in slurred, indistinguishable speech speaks to the demon as I writhe and twist covered in beads of acidic sweat. My eyes blur and the smoke above me coils and dances to the distant drums, drums which lull out the cumbersome beast-king which lurks beyond the safe light of the campfire, deep in the belly of the forest.

It shrieks and fights and refuses to leave. This demon, this depression, this desperation, it clings to me like a half-eaten monkey clings to a junkie’s back, razor talons embedded into muscle grinding upon bone. Biblical boils spewing rivers of pus and honey. It gorges and grows perpetually feasting upon it’s tail shitting out it’s offspring which erupt into this world through my malicious words and crystal puddles of spilled semen.

7 comments:

LMB said...

Whoooo-eee! That's some fine writin', man! I can truly dig this!

RuKsaK said...

Whoa - if Francis Bacon blew his brains out and in his blood and dying moments scrawled out some prose, this could may well be it!

Hermes said...

Luis - let's meet up in Old Mexico and write soon... we can share a kettle of peyote tea.

Ruksak - The Baconians theorize that Shakespeare was in fact Sir Francis Bacon. Your thoughts on this?

Anonymous said...

Uninvited, but I'll add my 2 cents. I think at least 3 writers contributed to the body of work that is "Shakespeare." There are three distinct and conflicting personalities. I think they were William Shakespeare, Anne Hathaway, and Francis Bacon - all attempting to write in the same style, and probably with a final edit from William. I would have a very hard time accepting that only one person wrote all of that work.

This post is fucking cool, hermes. I had to come back to it to digest it.

RuKsaK said...

It was neither - aliens wrote the lot - they had enough monkeys to help them.

I must admit I was thinking about the painter not the other one.

Hermes said...

Veronica - Anne Hathaway was great in 'Princess Diaries.' ;)

Ruk - I once saw a very interesting documentary about the works of William Shakespeare and whom might have been responsible. One of the theories actually proposed was that the origin of his genious was extra-terrestial.

And I have read 'Hamlet' in it's original Klingon and I confess it is superior in every way.

Anonymous said...

OK, I have to confess I didn't get it. I had to look up Princess Diaries to see what that was.