Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Delusions of Grandeur

Corner booth ordering bottle after bottle of hot sake in a black suit and tie like some fucking big-shot as the rain pours down in cascading sheets pitter-patter timpani. Summer-cold nagging ear-ache throbs like a swollen red toe in a Looney Tunes cartoon or like a claymation Rudolph’s nose... what have you. Depressing day and I need to get fucked up nice and good.

A friend of mine described it as "sweet sake drunk." However, drinking shot after shot like a thirsty impetuous wino "sweet sake slow suicide" might be a more fitting metaphor… or would that be a simile?

Rushed thoughts flit from one topic to the next, from one person to the next, from one emotion to the next, in rapid spitfire succession. Unable to press pause or rewind consequently I’m unable to closely study or articulate one or the other instead I assimilate them all as one frenetic fucked up liquid cacophony. The interesting mix of Actifed, ephedrine, and alcohol result in delirious loopy paranoia. I’m reminded of my crack smoking days and all the fun shit that comes with: carpet diving, lying, and stealing out of grandma’s purse.

I remember once I hid from a cop under a hoopty car dripping hot oil on my bare back in the middle of winter. Pig prick shining his mag light in the trees and in dark corners ready to cuff me because I looked "suspicious." So I stashed my bag of rock deep in the frame, rolled out from underneath, and ran like Carl Lewis pumping my fists as my thighs burned with unholy pain. A block away cop’s partner tackles me, frisks me, and finds nothing except pocket lint and some pennies. I was ticketed for "criminal mischief."

As I sit in the corner slamming sake shots and Kirin I think back to this moment frozen in time. A half smile slight shadow flashes across my face for the briefest, imperceptible instant replaced by the usual scowl.

10 comments:

-jkg said...

stories of risk and incident. i like it.

sake taste like piss to me.

Trena said...

Hermes - I hope you raise the roof when you get published cuz I really want my two boys, down, to read your shit. Thank you, T

Adams Avenue said...

A perfect compliment.

A good drunk, isn't it?

extraspecialbitter said...

there's no shame in waxing nostalgic for the good ol' days...

LH said...

Hermes' recipe for half-smile:

- 1 part summer cold
- bottomless shots of sake
- 1 still-frame in your mind of mischief

Shake well. Serve chilled. Enjoy.

Cover with scowl to maintain freshness.

Trena said...

yeah ...

RuKsaK said...

Superb - something almost serene about the pace of your prose - fucking superb - now buy a drink.

Anonymous said...

AAhhhhh...reminiscing about the crack days. Bitter/sweet....no wait...those days fucking sucked!! Always good to remember the horror though. Bienvenidos!!!

-G.D. said...

this post reminds me of the first time i read your blog...surprisingly great stuff, inspiring, raw, filled with humanity

emeralda said...

i am coming back day for day in search for more dope to still my pain with.
but you don't write anymore.
i can't wait
i can't wait
it s like nobody told me when xmas was but i know it will come, one day, hopefully soon

love

emeralda