Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Got Karaoke?

Saturday night karaoke fever. Hole in the wall joint on the east side of town. I’m feeling good… feeling loose. I bought three methadones off of a junkie I know at three dollars per pill. Cool and clean buzz keeps me light on my feet like Fred Astaire. I’m flitting from table to table with a disingenious smile dispensing fake compliments like the condom machine in the shit-stained bathroom at a quarter a pop. Corona, painkillers, and prime-time cigars: the holy feel-good trifecta.

I’m here with my buddy, Bruce. He’s big in the karaoke scene, or so I hear. He’s wearing a 70’s style ringer tee and the front of it asks in small unassuming script: “got Karaoke?” The back, in very large, in-your-face, oriental-style font proclaims: “Karaoke Bruce!” He had it custom made at the t-shirt shop for twenty dollars. He has numerous versions of it and he asked me once if I wanted to buy one. I graciously declined. We’re sitting at a table with another karaoke fixture… “Rocker Joe.” He’s a throwback to the hair bands of yore - a living fossil. As far as Rocker Joe is concerned, it’s always 1985 and the beer is always cold and the chicks are bitchin’ and the bands are kickin'. Rocker Joe’s wearing a t-shirt that reads “I’m here about the blowjob.” I told him I really liked his shirt and I asked him where he got it, he refused to tell me. Instead he offered to hook me up with one if I gave him some cash, fucking wino. I declined and said I'd order one off the "internets." Also at our table sits Joe’s on-again off-again girlfriend/booty-call, Jill. She keeps giggling at my stupid jokes and inconspicuously placing her hand on my thigh.

The place is crawling with various sorts of white trash: cowboys, bikers, rockers, wiggers, strippers, and, of course, the Karaoke royals. Bruce keeps asking me what he should sing and I keep telling him to sing whatever he wants, just as long as it’s not Bon Jovi. I think that’s why he keeps asking me is because he WANTS to sing Bon Jovi and he’s hoping I’ll change my mind. I told him I honestly don’t give a fuck, it makes no difference to me. Bruce asks me if I’m going to sing.

“ Yeah, I think I am.”

“ Whoa. Really?!? What song?” He leans in closer, very intrigued, ready to base my entire existence off of my song selection.

“ Jill and I are going to sing a duet, isn't that right Jill?”

Jill absently nods, unable to hear a single word I just said over the loud music.

“ Oh, ‘Summer Loving'... Grease?" Bruce persists. " 'Photograph' by Sheryl Crow and Kid Rock?"

“ No... 'Me so Horny’ by 2 Live Crew.”

8 comments:

-G.D. said...

ha, ha!

i just karaoke with japanese clients...talk about crazy fucks. as much as i resisted, i got into it, after many, many drinks. beastie-boys-memorable-moment.

Trena said...

Ahem ... do you take requests? Tom Jones, perhaps?

I get up with the girls at 'Got Karaoke', but never, ever, ever sing ... just a little fancy, fucking footwork ;)

70's, heh? The Temptations! Yo, dude!

Very nice, Hermes.
Listening to Dakota Staton just about now ...

LH said...

My last karaoke episode was during my honeymoon in Bermuda a couple of weeks ago. Started off singing Patsy Cline and ended up (several Coronas later) singing freakin' Betty Davis Eyes with some intoxicated girl I just met. Who the hell sings Betty Davis Eyes for karaoke?! Apparently...me.

Good times.

Adams Avenue said...

Nice.

It sounds like you and I frequent similar establishments. Karaoke is always easier to enjoy after a nice buzz.

This piece reminded me of some of my good ol' ass-smacking karaoke days.

It's a good time.

the green fairy said...

haha!

very nice. excellent song choice. way to turn it around. :)

i feel like i actually know Karaoke Bruce. he sounds very familiar. i guess there's a karaoke bruce in everyone's lives.

LMB said...

Ever tell you the time I did my drunken offkey karaoke rendition of "Rasberry Beret"? No? Well...yeah...somethings should be forgotten.

RuKsaK said...

I've been away sorting out my life for over a month now - but am back.

I'd love to see you singing karaoke more than most 'bloggers' - don't know what that says about me. Don't worry - there are other 'bloggers' I rather see strip - so count yourself lucky.

Debi said...

Baby got back should have been your second song!