Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Still life

" What do you see when you close your eyes?" She asks through creeping tears behind a veil of swirling smoke. I hold my breath, momentarily ignoring her. I exhale two white plumes through my nostrils as my entire body tenses. I remain erect with my back straightened and my eyes closed inhaling and exhaling with rising and falling shoulders fighting back waves of nausea. As the feeling to wretch subsides it’s replaced by growing numbness. It spreads through my body prompting my muscles to completely slacken. I rub my tongue against the roof of my mouth savoring the complete lack of feeling. My eyelids grow heavy. It feels as though weights are attached to my long lashes. I manage to hurriedly pass her the straw and the small square of foil moments before I collapse into my chair. I sit staring at the opposite wall, my hands firmly rested on the armrests with my slack mouth hung agape.

She repeats, " Baby, what do you see?"

I look over at her with squinted eyes, lick my dry lips, and reply: " Nothing. Gray matter lined with silver. Sparkling strobe-flashes of marvelous light - sparkly sand. Nothing…." I click my tongue as my head drops, my chin jockeying for position on my chest. I mutter, " Nothing, just feeling really good. Kinda’ tired, and good…."

5 comments:

-jkg said...

sounds like someone is chasing the dragon. make sure the foil is being burned on the right side, otherwise it will end up being the dragon chasing you.

emeralda said...

it just makes me sad

Adams Avenue said...

You probably see a lot more than you're willing to admit. Inner peace laced with heroin. The fantastic existance of a junkie.

Anonymous said...

i admire your art and these inmense paintings....lines of continuous, brilliantly bleak humanity and despair.

i still wish you'd write a book...

LH said...

Sad. Empty.