Friday, April 15, 2005

A Study in Egocentricity

I sit aloof in the snug booth sipping vermouth pretending to listen to my friend, let’s call him J___. He prattles on and on about some bitch he’s trying to lay and some investment deal he’s trying to seal. I wish I could give you specifics but I can’t cause I don’t really listen. I just nod my head and every now and then blankly say, “I totally agree” or “you’re telling me.” My thoughts, as is usually the case, are somewhere else. My troubled mind is on the red-eye flight: destination, another time. Under the pale glow of the pale lights my sushi roll and noodle bowl look so alien and unappetizing; like future food perhaps from a future film from the fifties complete with spacemen in shiny, future spacesuits that convincingly talk to clunky, future robots. I pick and prod at my food trying not to be rude as J____ lewdly goes on about how good H____, a girl we know, looks nude, and how she tastes even better too. I fake a smile or two, and even force a laugh. I perfectly play my part in his imperfect plan to imperfectly fuck every “bitch” he imperfectly woos.

The white noise of the swanky bar drowns out the incoherent shouts of a broken crack-whore standing outside alone. I spy her through the glass acting crass trying to draw undue attention from the departing bar denizens. J___ notices my gaze has shifted and turns around to see what I see. We sit in silence for a minute, maybe three, intently staring at the unfolding scene. J___ turns back around and raises his glass as he smugly laughs. “Glad it’s not me” he chuckles with glee. “Here’s to life, money, and the pursuit of pussy” I weakly raise my now empty drink and solemnly nod, “I totally agree.”

6 comments:

Hermes said...

I once read a quote, "A bore is someone who opens his mouth and puts his feats in it." I'm not sure who said it but such is the case with my friend, J____. So the pressing question is, why would I dine with him?

Because he was buying.

Scribe Called Steff said...

He sounds like a dick. (But the lengths we'll go to for free food. Especially with loud ambient noise involved when personalities are less than enjoyable.)

You ever seen "Your Friends and Neighbours?" A good film, if not a little hard to take.

Your post makes me think of it. Dark, sardonic, sort of funny if it weren't so tragic.

I think you were gunning for that.

You write well. You have a very good grasp of understating tragedy. That's hard to do. Nice.

A little funny here and there, too, which is also tres nice.

Thanks for popping into the hood.

my den of shame's at--
www.thelastditch.blogspot.com

Hermes said...

Steve. It's not a bad thing, it's human nature actually. I've noticed life is either spent talking about oneself or politely pretending to listen, all the while forming your next thought about your next statement which will probably be about your next ambition.

Hermes said...

Steff. Thankyou for the kind words. I'm glad to know someone besides my mother enjoys reading my work. I definitely want to see "Friends and Neighbors," it looks intriguing and appealing.

Especially to my inner pervert.

Scribe Called Steff said...

I LOVE MY INNER PERVERT.

Keeps me entertained in the dark of night.

Hermes said...

Tattooedbrain. I think this wonderful quote from Bret Easton Ellis summarizes my friend J___ best, "I'm not really hungry, I just need to have reservations somewhere."

Sometimes I'd like to just shove a chopstick up his nose into his cranium.

Steff. I have some ferns on my porch so green and lush. In order to thrive they need air, water, music, and fertilizer; I use dog poop. My inner pervert is like one of these ferns, and like you, I love it, and encourage it to grow, provided it's controlled.

Which leads me into another self-indulgent cliche: I find it ironic that something beautiful (such as my inner pervert, a fern or an orchid) needs something so repugnant to become it's destined form. Beauty.

Does that make any sense to you? Because it doesn't to me.