Monday, April 03, 2006

like riding a bike.

I’m immersed in Reggaetón bass lines. I stand in the shadows watching sweaty bodies grind and twist to the primitive beat. I think I’m falling in love with this music… with this scene… once again.

Faces, people I knew back in the day appear out of the darkness to shake my hand and buy me a drink. They all invariably ask the same two questions: “ Hey, where have you been? You lose weight?” I politely smile and give the same simple answer as to avoid any unnecessary confusion, overlapped stories, or lengthy explanations. “ I’ve been traveling.” The reaction is universal. A quiet nod and three words: “ You look good.”

For most of the evening I hide near the back of the club leaning against the bar chatting it up with one of the cocktail waitresses, S____, a stunning Bosnian girl I used to date. She asks me why I’m not dancing and I ignore the question. She persists. “ Have you noticed that all of these girls keep looking over here? Why don’t you get out there and dance?”

I sharply inhale ready to give another rehearsed answer. S___ reads my eyes and continues.

“ …and I know you know how to dance, don’t deny it.”

I pause and lower my Red-Bull/jaeger in mock defeat. I lean in closer. Her eyes playfully smile at me under the low lights of the club. There’s no cocaine in my blood, yet my heart beats rapidly against my chest and my senses are heightened. I'm fully aware of my surroundings. Her sweet perfume swirls in my head along with the smoke of my clove. For the first time in what seems like decades I feel alive. The rusted gears and cogs have begun to rumble to life.

I narrow my eyes and grin at her from beneath the brim of my vintage fedora. “Because I’m too old.”

She leans in close, playing the game expertly. “You can never be too old to dance.”

“Yeah, who told you that?”

“ Someone I used to know... somebody wise.”

7 comments:

RuKsaK said...

fucking supreme - what truly dazzling dialogue. People have said my dialogue is not too shabby. I need fucking lessons compared to this. Really - that worked so well.

Adams Avenue said...

It looks to me that you just wanted to be next to her. You weren't there to dance - you were there to see her again, smell her again, smile with her again.

Like riding a bike.

LH said...

Familiarity can be a beautiful thing.

Beautiful.

LMB said...

Familiararity is supreme! To travel the moebius strip sometime is satisfying and theraputic...it can be terrorfying, too.

emeralda said...

i don't know what to say but i feel reminded of your writing back in june last year or so. and it s too, beautiful. i m such a bad critic. i just love it all together. the point is, i can see it right there. actually i am standing right there and i am leaning over and tease you.

-G.D. said...

interesting...what awakens life in us. in this case something that was already dead.

to find that same level of recognition in something new...now that's true rush.

extraspecialbitter said...

Don't be fooled by cheap imitations: that Bosnian girl is cocaine...