Friday, April 07, 2006

Escherian

A year ago today...

It's pretty scary being completely broke.

The other day I got a post-dated check loan at a place cleverly named, "Check City" which is smack dab on the boulevard of broken dreams, criss-crossing wino alley. I always swore to myself I'd never take out one of these ridiculous loans, yet here I am, slapping down my car title for an extra 200 bucks so I can eat.

Upon completing my business I quickly leave. As I'm getting into my car a homeless man approaches me and asks for money. He can tell by the pissed off look on my face that I'm put out. So he quickly follows his initial query with "I mean no disrespect, but if you have even a quarter you'd spare so I can buy a burger or something I'd really appreciate it." Coincidentally, in my center console I had 2 quarters, some pennies, and a pocketful of lint which I was saving specifically to use at the car wash. I hand him the quarters and say:

"It looks like you could use this more than me."

Nothing has changed.

I'm still poor. I'm still hungry.

Here's to another year on the moebius strip super-highway.

7 comments:

monsoux said...

It's pretty scary to be broke. Again.

LMB said...

Yes...being broke is tough. But, poor people...those who toil and struggle on a daily basis just to survive...they are far more interesting than a bunch of rich snobs guffawing around watered down drinks at some posh outing...I come from a very wealthy family, born into a life of privilidge, yet I chose to turn my back on them and live the life of the real, of the common man, of the human struggle, the pain of exsisting...I could never picture myself lounging on a cruise ship, sipping singapore slings and chortling with some fat girl name Miggles over how much money Daddy makes...ech. I rather die.

extraspecialbitter said...

thank goodness you saved the lint.

emeralda said...

oh those comments make me laugh. good good. for me. i guess. hope they make you smile too. at least you have ways to get into the internet. not everybody has this privilege, remember???

I guess these are the old bad days....and I love them too.
I was just rambling about that. I mean, are you still able to enjoy yourself? well, that's it. that's the point. how comes my love, who's broke too, big time, thinks that you need money to enjoy yourself?
ah the drugs, i forgot.
but other than that???

you are rich inside. at least from what i read.

so that's at least something to sigh about. in relief

-G.D. said...

for awhile i had to look at it like I meant to be broke...to put myself ther on purpose, so i could beat myself into wisdom and forever gratefulness....

made me feel better about my shitty self.

Adams Avenue said...

Man up - you still have TiVo. ;)

Hermes said...

Monsoux. Nope, not again... I've remained broke this entire time and shall probably continue to do so. Yes, it is scary.

Desolation. Eat the rich. Fuck 'em.

Extraspecial. I always keep plenty of lint on hand here in my belly button.

Piranha. Oh yes. I am still able to... enjoy myself. The best things in life are free.

One. It is our lot. Do you still?

Colonialave. Perhaps I'm in this position because of Tivo.

Underhill. Even sadder still is when said ABANDONED Check City still refuses to cash your checks.