Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Glimmering below

Machete in hand I hack away at the never-ending onslaught of prickly vines and leaves. The steaming jungle buzzes with life. Although I can’t see any animals I know they’re out there. I catch movement. Dark figures dart and bound about in the shadowy canopy above. The shrill call of hundreds of birds and giant cicada’s drown out my thoughts. Perspiration bleeds down my face into my eyes blurring my vision. My feet sting with an unholy pain. Dirty water, sweat, and a ponderous army of flesh eating bacteria slowly march into my raw exposed blisters that have turned into cuts that have turned into lacerations. Soldiers call this “jungle rot.” I shudder to think how my feet will look when I remove my boots. I quickly force these thoughts into the back of my mind as I numbly tread on.

The hours endlessly drag. I stop to rest mindful not to drink the microbe-infested water. My shirt is soaked through with stench and grime. I remove it and toss it into the river. I watch it drift away caught up in the current. I can’t help but wonder if gigantic crocodiles resting far below in the river’s murky depths silently watch me with their cold, un-gazing, reptilian eyes. I splash cool water onto my face and onto my chest and shoulders. I subconsciously welcome one of these prehistoric killers to suddenly jump out of the water with a loud splash, snatch me up in it’s gaping, powerful jaws, pull me under, and death roll me. My wish is never granted. Under my breath I curse God as I continue onward.

I arrive into a clearing. Scattered about I see crumbling statues. Below my feet is the ancient foundation of a once glorious temple erected by a once glorious civilization. I inspect the sculptures around me. I can vaguely discern ornate patterns and tales of love and hero’s and loss long ago chiseled into the stone faces. I see your eyes, or rather a fading memory in the nondescript, weather worn rock . Decrepit monuments that once represented your beauty, now corroded to dust and tangled up in spider webs, moss, bird droppings, and animal piss. Another structure, an old pillar, represents your heart. Another sculpture, of a woman, represents your dreams. Another, of a shield, represents our solidarity. I pause and look up into the sky. Heavy, dark clouds begin to gather. I hear the muffled boom of thunder break somewhere far, far away. I turn around and the statues have vanished. I see only jungle. I wonder if you even existed.

I wonder if I even care anymore.

I gather my breath, blankly shrug, and limp away. The bowels of the jungle enfold me. The ganglions, nerve-clusters, and gray matter envelop me and deeper into the darkness of my mind I wander.

8 comments:

LMB said...

Dr. Hermes, I presume?

Anonymous said...

No matter the thickness of the Jungle, the oasis that is found admist chaotic twine can never be underestimated.

Non sia mai impaurito di che cosa si trova avanti.

RuKsaK said...

This is an interesting turn of theme - not saying that's a bad thing though. And, the style as always is great - 'unholy pain' - brilliance.

WordWhiz said...

Hey...did you have your site yanked down for a while - for updates or something?? I tried to come here a couple weeks ago and it said there was no such site. Glad to see you back...or that at least blogger is able to locate you now!! Happy New Year!!

-G.D. said...

your writing inspires me...so much. i'm not sure i've told you that.

i love the imagery of this journey through your existence and eventual let-down. i wonder if we fabricate these so called "statues" out of the hope we find for ourselves in people.

i've even built pedestals for mine...only to watch them fall and shatter into dust. they become something else then...their dust a fog that prevents us from seeing how we got there or where we are headed.

guiding light never comes from above, below or anywhere around this hell...always from within.

now, if only i could find the fucking switch.

Hermes said...

Desolation Angel. Correct as usual King Friday.

Anon. Very true. Unless it's a mirage. But even then an illusion can bring comfort. Shallow, empty comfort. The same comfort the bottle brings.

Ruksak. I've been reading "Haunted Traveller" by Barry Yourgrau. This piece was inspired.

Wordwhiz. I took a vacation. But it's back to the grind now.

Tacit. It is a metaphor. Although the character in the piece doesn't realize this.

G.D. And it's comments like this that inspire me to keep doing this... to keep publishing my thoughts. That is a true compliment.

Thankyou.

Inner switch? I'm powered by the rays of the yellow sun dontchaknow?

jonny said...

how often (when/where etc) do you develop these?

More apposite to your latest, but still valid, I hope.

Hermes said...

No Stars. Anything. In this instance it was a particular song. I was trying to capture the mood of the song through my words. Through this story. By verbalizing the emotional state the song itself triggered.

By the way, in case you're interested the song is called "Beautiful Things" by Andain. It's included on a cd entitled "Nyana" by DJ Tiesto.