Monday, August 21, 2006

Encapsulated

There was a time my emotions were turned inside out, when I’d selfishly air my dirty laundry, with an impetuous shake, for the entire world to read with just a few strokes - a litany of triumphs, a host of low notes, and cleverly disguised key players frozen in time, mid-pose, like characters in a Rembrandt. Never me, never mind, but leaving just enough clues hinting at what could be.

Wandering, machete in hand, through the capacious undergrowth of sticky vine - a jungle of unsorted, unfiltered, undiluted memories. Memories. Sweet yet at the same time bitter like a twist of lime and a dash of salt. Salvation comes in many forms. Such as shot after shot of cheap whiskey lined up in a neat little row, or the small mountain of Pabst cans chilling in a rusted tin washtub sweating in the noonday sun, or a syringe full of lethal, blissful, bittersweet junk. Salvation waiting but never appearing, eyeing the horizon, waiting and waning as wave after wave of tumultuous memories slap me across the face... and only turmoil remains. Failure to act. Failure to "see things through" as my daddy used to always say. A handsome young man, impetuous and brash, never realizing what he had until the day he awoke from life.

A dream. As phantasms… no not phantasms but headless voices, wander in and out through a revolving door. Characters in a play appearing as if on cue and then exeunt with a bright flurry or conversely, without speaking a word. I used to interact with these characters speaking in tongues like a Delphic oracle round and round together through the motions. But now I dumbly sit and cradle my arms, my emotions have now shifted outside in. And lately, only numb. Zoloft , Prozac, and Paxil cloud my thoughts like a gray curtain of dense fog.

6 comments:

emeralda said...

I used to teach 12 year old girls tight rope walking back in the days when life was still full of idealism and the conviction that we could change the world
I used to tell them, that the reason why they fall is because they don't fight. i said, imagine there is a river with crocodiles under you and when you fall you ll most likely die. why not fight until you die of exhaustion?

it seemed to work at times and i was surprised how much tight rope walking is like life itself. it's a constant balance act between the two sides. and when you give up, just for a second, you ll fall 9 out of 10 times.

Trena said...

prozac helped me to walk that tightrope zombie style. right off the planet, actually. woke up from that dense fog on a respirator, angry as hell.

hope you are talking to somebody while encapsulated ... some dangerous shit.

life is a choice within and without, on or off ...

i've decided that i might not ever be able to pull myself from the wreckage. hell, i think i just may BE the wreckage...

Anonymous said...

you've also been playing with a mental-ouija board? we must be living parallel existence...

Adams Avenue said...

Beautifully written, Hermes. Now I know what I want to be for Halloween.

extraspecialbitter said...

crowded train --
I offer my seat
to a bad date
who doesn't
remember me

LH said...

This is exactly why Dive Bar Verses is one of my favorite stops on the Net.

Brilliant, as usual.