Thursday, July 20, 2006

this girl I know...

She loves to cook, often experimenting with exotic dishes. She paints her apartment bi-yearly in bright shades of tan and red and re-arranges her furniture every month on the dot. She loves court TV and documentaries about Tsunami’s. In fact, she’s convinced a killer wave will take her life some day, or even more far-fetched, one took it previously… thus the utter fascination I would think. She loves all animals except roaches and spiders, which she claims are evil. Sometimes she’ll wake up at night screaming like a banshee, swearing a gigantic arachnid is clinging to the ceiling. She owns a spoiled, black cat with yellow eyes, his name is Dorian Gray. He looks like the cat from the Théophile-Alexandre Steinlen painting. She says they’re probably related. She’s addicted to cigarettes, gossip mags, and ‘Sex in the City.’ She loves cocktails, salsa dancing, and drama. She never drives at night, insisting she suffers from ‘night blindness.’ Or it’s probably the two previous DUI’s and she’s being really cautious… or possibly it’s the fuzzy navels tucked away in her pocket. She’s quick-witted, creative, and well-read. Her comedic timing is impeccable, always dead on, and she’s caustically blunt. She always says the right things at the wrong time and truly doesn’t give a fuck. She has a gay best friend named Nathan and they constantly bicker about fashion. And I always tell her she needs to stop stealing my oversized Willy Wonka sunglasses. She’s the most brilliant writer I’ve ever red, yet she’s unable to add basic fractions in her head or follow simple driving directions. She’s always late, her bed is never made, and at night she sits on the sink and picks at her face. She claims she suffers from ADD, OCD as well as a multitude of other abnormalities, if you ask me she’s a classic hypochondriac. She’s a tiny girl with beautiful features. She has the most amazing, fitness-model body but somehow puts away more meals than I do. She throws hysterical fits if I slurp my food. She claims she hates all "mouth noises" great and small. She’s a ditz, drives like shit, and nitpicks the way I do dishes. She gets really annoyed at my two-hour bowel movements.

However… despite our differences, similarities, bickering, and infighting... despite our mutual adulation, adoration, and her host of bizarre eccentricities... we both could not, nor would not, picture life without the other. We go together like ‘peas and carrots,' 'Peanut butter and jelly,' 'Batman and Robin,' or 'Tom and Jerry.'

11 comments:

Admin said...

Fabulous piece dear fellow. Reminds me a great deal of me and mine. In fact if it wasn't for the milage between us, I'd say it's the same girl!!

Anonymous said...

I'd like to meet her.

emeralda said...

i so very much hope it s true hermes!
you have no idea!
how fucked up that i would even care!
but i truly hope it s true
she sounds awesome!!! makes me feel less weird about my eccentricities...well well.
and i ve been reading you for such a long time that this title 'this girl i know' just jumped in my face and i was (very typical female) 'oh cool! he is talking about girls again! i love that! yuppie!'
i am such a sucker for love

oh well

JP (mom) said...

sounds like an ode to love :)
cheers!

LH said...

This one gave me chills as I can SO relate...to being in love, I mean. I hope this is current and not something pulled from the 'ole memory bank. Good for you, Hermes!

Anonymous said...

i loved this piece...unusual from you, but that's very appealing, because it shows your massive range of emotions and your beautiful ability to take us "there".

i can't keep up with you're time folds, though...so it keeps me guessing

Adams Avenue said...

Two-hour bowel movements??

One word for you, Herm: Fiber.

LeeLoreya said...

this is very sweet, very melodic. You seem to hate and love in equal levels of intensity. Most people endlessly navigate between the two until it becomes blurry.

monsoux said...

I like her. Is that what you wanted?

Anonymous said...

guess you found a hole and had to explore.

Sulnitchke said...

It brings me joy to know that you are truly in love.

Namaste,
My old friend