Monday, December 12, 2005

Ignis fatuus

Christmas Eve, 2004.

“ So why are you here... of all places?”

I take a hard swig from the bottle. Tastes damned good. Especially when it's this cold - near freezing. The room is dark. Surreal. A self-contained, melancholy world. The only window to the outside is a tiny 2' x 2' plate-glass deal above the door. Just beyond the smoked glass I see the wind whip the snow around and around in the night air. A white Christmas it seems... to the delight of children and dreamers everywhere. The snow, as reflected underneath the street lights, is hauntingly beautiful and hypnotic. Tiny tornado mini-gusts, spinning and spinning, as though they waltz. Locked together in a naive, never-ending dance.

“ Well I'm here 'cause I don't have anywhere else to go. I'm not from around here. And well... I fucked up. To make a long story short I'd rather be here.”

He holds up his beer, “ Well merry Christmas then." He takes a long pull and sets his bottle down with a hollow thump. " So what did you do?” His fierce eyes ominously glint at me in the neon half light along with his gold tooth.

I look away. My attention's drawn to the corner of the room. I sullenly eye an old man sitting at the end of the bar next to the ancient Juke Box which whirs and grinds out old rock ballads from the 80's. A guitar solo fills the tiny establishment. The high-pitched scream permeates throughout the atmosphere in a congested cloud along with the thick smoke of the Marlboro Reds I'm chain-smoking. The combination of the music, smoke, and a shaky old ceiling fan which precariously dangles directly above my head create an odd effect: the walls seem to breathe. The whole room is crackling and alive. A stunning contrast to the stillness of the old man as he sits stiff as a statue. He's eerily silent without even a word - or a drink. It's as though this catotonic state can be attributed to the vacancy of his soul as he stares back at me through muffled pits. Beneath rotted lids.

“ Yo. You still here?” A finger snap in front of my face.

“ Yeah. Sorry. What were you saying?” My attention fixes back to the man seated in the stool next to mine.

“ What happened with you and your woman?”

I squint at him beneath my Willy Wonka sunglasses and wipe my nose with my shirt sleeve. I shift in my seat as I take a deep puff from my cigarette.

“ No offense but I'd rather not talk about it.”

I exhale two streams of smoke from my nostrils like a cartoon dragon. I turn away and wave at the bartender. “ Hey another beer over here, Bud light, if you could.”

My gaze returns to the old man in the corner. He seems to be gazing intently at his drink... or perhaps at me, I can't tell. I can't make out his features, even when I peer at him from beneath my glasses. His body is pitched in darkness. The only light upon his face is an unnatural neon blue. A perverted “Rembrandt shadow” that illuminates only half of his face. The other side is almost completely dark except for a small triangle below his eye. His eyes, or the sockets where they should be, are blackened. His grizzled chin is pressed tight against his western-style button-up and his back is hunched. It's an awkward way to sit. I'm reminded of old cowboy flicks and the way corpses of executed criminals are laid out in pine boxes with quarters placed upon their eyes.

As if on queue, as if reading my thoughts word for word, image for image, the man next to me states in a hoarse tone of voice, in a soft, sharp whisper:

“ Death is merciful, for there is no return therefrom but with him who has come back out of the nethermost chambers of the night.”

It takes a second for the quote to register. My rusted brain slowly chugs and spurts to life like an old truck left out in a field, forgotten, for many many years. Realization is quickly followed by a sense of apprehension and then a creeping fear. I catiously turn, fully expecting to find the man standing next to me, or behind me, breathing his foul demon breath into my neck, skull-fucking me with his eyes.

Instead, I find an empty stool. My eyes flit to the shadowy corner. I see an empty glass.

And outside the wind and snow eternally waltz.

13 comments:

RuKsaK said...

Loved this one - a brilliant still-paused moment in a bar. Could be any sleazy bar at Xmas, but they do take on a darker, more torrid glow in the Festive Season for sure. I've known bars like this and have loved and hated them in equal degrees - often within the span of one evening.

Seriously - thanks for this - this piece was telepathy to me.

Adams Avenue said...

Budlight? 'Cmon Herm, next time I suggest you treat yourself to a nice Yuengling. It'd put some hair on your chest ;)

Other than that - this post was rock solid. I'm a huge fan of Lovecraft. My favorite:

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."

It's a daily battle. At least I accept it. (Queue corney high school quote:) "And knowing is half the battle."

An eternal waltz.

jonny said...

hmmmm.

you do this in your sleep, don't you?

Hermes said...

Ruk. I'm reminded of a man I used to know. He'd spend every Christmas alone at the bar. One year his daughter brought his grandson to visit him at the bar since he wasn't willing to leave. Minutes before their arrival the old man limped over to the "skill crane" machine, popped in some quarters, and fished out a stuffed animal to give to his grandson for Christmas.

I don't know what's more sad, this tale, or the fact I was there to see it.

Colonialave. Bud Light. Tastes great and it's less filling. I need to maintain my figure you know.

No Stars. As a matter of fact I do. I dream when I really should be sleeping, and I sleep when I really should be working. It's a viscious cycle.

LyZa said...

i like the quote. it pierced me.

-G.D. said...

Here is to you enjoying something better than a budlight this xmas...perhaps Chimay, next to someone who makes you feel great about yourself.

extraspecialbitter said...

I am often addressed by empty barstools. They typically say things like "I think it would be an excellent idea to buy a whole bottle of expensive tequila." I rarely argue, lest the bouncer think I'm crazy.

Trena said...

Hark!

Night.

Fall upon us. Yes! Shall we? Yes! Dance ... Dance ...Dance...

Thank you, Herm, for sharing.

Sincerely,
Ma

emeralda said...

i saw him there.
you inspire me again hermes, it s like coming home and realizing how fucking awesome it is. i ve been away too long but i am hooked again....with these bittersweet words...they just,....draw me in yhour thirsty veins you...you.....vampire of letters and magical wordchains

Trena said...

Gather it there, sweet mercy, in the darkening ... but who dares to gaze into the nethermost chambers of night ... the darkness within. For fear, emptiness will suffice.

Hermes - you've done the death dance inside out. Bravo.

Hermes said...

Extraspecial. One shouldn't question their wisdom. Just nod with vacant eyes and do as we;re told.

Ma Dukes. All the same. As I write these words I bring the death dance in, sip by sip by sip. Thanks for the sweet words. Goes down smooth like a shot of Jaegermeister.

Piranha. It is definitely nice to have you back. I miss your enigmatic wisdom.

MrRyanO said...

Hermes! Have you been out drinking with the Devil again? Probably not good for your health...but sure makes for a great piece of work!

Rock ON good man!

Admin said...

Dude, I just read this thinking I was on a new post, because I obviously haven't left a comment, and thoroughly enjoyed it.. again. Now there isn't many where I can read twice and learn more the second time than I did the first...

And bud light! Hmmmm, really? It tastes a little like gnats piss if you ask me? Not that you did...