Monday, June 18, 2007

Away

We push on. Even though the skies are a gray, drab curtain of menacing storm-clouds barreling closer to us... closer to the earth, we push on. For we must.

Quiet, except for the shrill whistle of the wind weaving through dead, dry branches of dead, dry trees and long ago the birds went away from this place leaving only a barren ash field stretching as far as the eye can see... perhaps forever.

I look at you, a slightly older you, and you point up at the sky and in a hoarse little voice say "Daddy I felt rain." I quietly nod, and pull the tarp over us, and we walk on. We cannot get caught out here when hell breaks loose, we must find cover and rest or we too shall die as this land has.

And you whisper in my ear "Daddy I'm scared." I kiss your cheek and assure you we will make it through. "And where is Mommy?" You ask and all I can tell you is "She is away." I turn my head and avert my eyes so you do not see my tears, I do not want to upset you. Although I know you will be all right as long as we are together.

You are the strong one.

3 comments:

Trena said...

and it is all right to feel scared ... and sad ... tears are natural for a time like this ... he will sense the true nature of things, sense that everything will be all right as long as you are togethor ... teach him, model for him, that lasting strength will come from never denying the nature of human emotion ... will come from being honest with yourself ... gently honest with him ... life is an upset ... ultimately, he must be able to manage it ...

-G.D. said...

oh, how close i feel to this piece. thanks for posting it.

he will show you where to find all that is special, here...there...everywhere. even in the face of pain, struggle and fear. he will show you glitter in the mud. i remember when my son thought it was gold...just by a river. i told him, "it's fool's gold"...he said, "that's not a nice thing to say, mama. i'm not a fool." he was right...he is my teacher. the one that showed me how to dream again.

extraspecialbitter said...

a touching vignette with a killer ending. bravo.