Sunday, January 01, 2006

Creeping

Everyday when I return home after a hard day's work I typically find an empty house. Just the way I like it... as I am a loner. Everything is exactly the same as when I left earlier that morning. Just the way I like it... very messy... as I am a slob. For instance, the coffee maker is still turned on, and has been for days. The dishes are piled up in the sink. The T.V is tuned to CNN and the toilet remains unflushed. A solitary stinking log abjectly floats there with thoughts unto it's own. Every single object has been left undisturbed and untouched. The pizza continues to slowly rot in my fridge. The thermostat is set to 72. Just the way I like it... as I prefer the air cool.

Yet I know you were here during my absence.

Subtle clues only an anal retentive, overly-observant asshole such as myself or possibly a crime scene investigator would pick up on. Fresh tracks in the backyard. Greasy fingerprints on the countertop. Some of the books on my bookshelf have been misplaced. The bedroom door is cracked whereas I always leave it completely closed. A pen is missing from the coffee mug on my desk. I count 9 whereas I always leave 10 in there. The bottle of whiskey I keep in the freezer has been placed on the second shelf. I always keep it in the door. Someone has been sleeping in my bed. It smells funky.

I know you were here you fucking piece of shit. I know you've been rummaging through my things. Prying into my life.

Perhaps it's my fault for leaving the back sliding door unlocked. Perhaps it's my fault for graciously allowing you to stay at my place at one point or another. Now, like a stubborn case of herpes or genital warts, you just won't go away. You keep coming back. And you're sneaky about it too. Cautious. You try to cover your tracks. You try to leave no clues. But I know you were here - your work is sloppy.

You've stayed your welcome. And unless I take decisive action I know you'll keep coming back. You see... to you, it's now an expectation. You EXPECT my door to always be open to you, and your loser friends, and you no longer even bother to leave a couple of bucks on the counter or a “thank you” note before you leave the way you used to. You think you can just show up at my place anytime and simply "hang out" free of fucking charge? Well guess what asshole, you can't. You're no longer a part of MY inner circle of trust. You're no longer a friend. In fact, at this point I deem you an enemy. I think perhaps it's time I start dead-bolting my house and once again assure the sanctity of MY domain. Perhaps it's time I board up the fucking windows so your prying, beady RAT eyes may no longer keep tabs on me, or what I'm up to, or who I'm with.

Maybe it's time I move to a different neighborhood.

OR maybe... just maybe, I think it's time for YOU to go the fuck away and never come back.

This ain't no peep show.

Fuck You.

10 comments:

extraspecialbitter said...

perhaps you've overlooked the gift-wrapped bottle of Patron on your kitchen counter, right between the cat food and some mysterious biology experiment intermittently sprinkled with cheese. sorry about the deuce, by the way - it was a long drive!

Trena said...

ps - just the way i like it:

a couple of little friends named walther to go with the deadbolts ... and the sage.

you know,

'put 'em up ... put 'em up'
and
'battle by battle without war';)

Trena said...

knock knock. ma again. forgive me for being a pest ...

bloodyfuckingpulpgulp! :) :) :)

RuKsaK said...

glad you're back - this place was gone for a few days. This is an interesting piece - I think I've said this before, but you do vitriol very well - captivating stuff - genuinely.

jonny said...

How many did you write this for?

This mimics your words in the description box, in sentiment, at least.

I do like a good game of bluff and I'm glad this link still leads me somewhere - I hadn't finished with your past.

LMB said...

*Flicks cigarette and rolls eyes* (Sigh.) Okay! I'll leave! Shit! You don't hafta tell me twice! Jeez!!

Hermes said...

Extraspecial. Not every house guest is uninvited. Especially those bearing bottles of Patron and good stories.

Ma Dukes. Walther? I have another friend named 'Beretta.' He's a tough cookie, and he's has got lots of friends too. 10 to be precise.

Ruk. I needed to take a break. Recharge the batteries. And I really needed to reflect on whether I wanted to keep this project going or not.

I figured, 'Aw fuck it, what the hell?'

Jonny No-Stars. To be frank I didn't write it for anybody. Pure fiction. I started with an emotion and wrote around that.

Thus the disclaimer in my 'about me' box.

Desolation Angel. Hey, isn't that my pack of Lucky Strikes? That's my 'Puta' t-shirt you're wearing too.

-G.D. said...

ok, but can i keep the loofah? i dunno why, but i thought your site was gone?? I'll blogroll you again.

Mad Munkey said...

I swear, I left the bottle in the door. Maybe it was the mice again... lol

Hermes said...

G.D. you can go ahead and keep the loofah.

Mad Munkey. Next time leave it fuller than when you found it.

Tacit. OCD would imply all of the subtle changes were figments of my imagination, right?