Friday, December 16, 2005

Beautiful

I sit in my room, sad song on repeat, thinking to myself the irony of it all. Life truly does imitate art, doesn’t it?

There was a place you used to go. Your special place where you’d sit and drink and think and attempt to sift through your shit with a broken plate like a melancholy prospector, so tired, on the fringes of hope. A broken relic. Esoteric. Hollow.

At least that’s my take. I still don’t get it though.

It was a quiet lake up the canyon a ways. There was a ledge with a view where you’d gaze, in the early morning light, at an entire world 300 feet down below, a world free of pain. Soft ripples only hint at the bubbling bliss and simplicity of hungry fish and the day-to-day void of strictly human flaws such as betrayal, heartache, depression… and resignation. Soft lapping waves -

I can only imagine you’d hold cautiously still and feel yourself die moment by moment. With the whispering wind you walk the astral plane, your soul so far far away, thousands of miles away, with your son as he plays. In your mind’s eye you see him pause, and thoughtfully look up to the sky, as you smile down the only way you know how.

Carefully you remove your shirt, shoes and socks. Place your car keys and wallet beside your things in a meticulous line. You approach the ledge, eyes affixed on the distant horizon…

“There must be an angel with a smile on her face,
When she thought up that I should be with you.
But it's time to face the truth,
I will never be with you. “

9 comments:

LeeLoreya said...

this is a very feminine post to me....noticehow "feminine"is not derogatory, like "female"...the word verif keeps spitting out checkwords as long as mountainsnakes...

Trena said...

she looks down into the blue of her palms and wonders if she can fly ...

thank you, hermes, thank you

jonny said...

er...I've seen the video too and it's interesting how you work this in.

Hermes said...

Leeloreya. Hey stranger. Feminine like a doilie or feminine like a tigress?

Ma Dukes. She can. If she truly believes she can she can. A little pixie dust might help as well.

No stars. Well then I'm sure you know that video depicts a suicide. I had a friend who killed himself in this exact same manner. Every nuance was spot-on right down to the neat laid out line of shoes, wallet, and watch. This post is about my friend. So is THIS one.

LeeLoreya said...

feminine, inexorably painful,beautiful,like yr first menstruation

Hermes said...

First menstruation? Thanks. I think. You're too kind with your words Lee. If anything my writing is feminine like a hysterectomy.

-G.D. said...

this one leaves me empty...shallow...hopeless.

a last breath, filled with emotion and sorrow.

great, as always (i need to come up with a new compliment...i know)

Adams Avenue said...

Could one truly find beauty and art hidden in the depthless reality of suicide?

Hermes said...

G.D. Your thoughts and guttural reactions to my work is all I really desire... which you always give very well. Thanks.

Colonialave. Not so much suicide as in suffering. Suffering has always been a predominant theme in human art and self-expression.